Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 09-21-2003, 11:53 AM   #1
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Updated Sport Touring Line for Ducati

I think the headlight treatment is worse than the old one. Looks more Japanese now. I like the 3 vent slots on the lower fairing of the old ones. Turn signals are ugly too. I followed a beautiful red ST4 yesterday love the sound it makes. I think Ducati needs to fire their design staff.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2003, 12:20 PM   #2
detansinn
Founding Member

Pierre penned the original ST as well. You'd be firing the same people. haha

Seriously, the new STs are decidedly less "sexy" than even the previous iteration, but at least they provide more wind protection and comfort. Some of the aftermarket fairings and windshields for the previous STs truly define ugly.

The new bike has gained two position handlebars. That combined with the exhaust system which still pivots up without the bags, you've got one sweet all-purpose ride.
detansinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 12:41 PM   #3
schizuki
Founding Member

With each bike he designs (or re-designs) for Ducati, Pierre Terblanche continues to show us the meaning of genius...

Massimo Tamburini's genius.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 02:12 PM   #4
davyt
Founding Member

>Looks more Japanese now...

I'm going to have to agree with KPaul on this one (and this is against my better judgement): the fairing treatment bears an uncanny resemblance to the Honda VFR 800, circa 2001. I think that Terblanche is driving Ducati down the same road that Willie G. did with Harley-Davidson...
davyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 02:18 PM   #5
davyt
Founding Member

>...Massimo Tamburini's genius.

Yes, but don't forget Miguel Galuzzi, who designed the Monster (as I ponder why Ducati has restyled every model in their line up save for that one)...
davyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 02:43 PM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Ugh! I'm not buying one

Ducati addressed current ST owner concerns and sadly made the bike ugly with that mis-matched fairing in the process (kinda like in the 80s when GM was sticking round endcaps on cars with old,square greenhouses).

1. New Seat

2. Better headlights (mine are awful)

3. Better ergos (adjustable bars are cool)

4. More wind protection

Too bad they cheaped out with that horrible upper fairing which doesn't match the bike's lines at all.

The aftermarket did it much better again. Check out www.ducatidesigns.com to see what the headlights should have looked like.

I guess a 2003 ST4s w/ABS is the way to go. Then I could just transfer over my seat, helibars and carbon fiber goodies.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 03:19 PM   #7
boxerboy
Registered Member

I like the new ST's. Not a huge departure, but then it seems that Ducati has decided that Sport Tourers aren't for the stylistically adventurous, so an evolutionary, almost Japanese approach shouldn't come as a surprise, I guess.

I think Terblanche is a hell of a designer. The heat he's taking is inevitable, I suppose, and kind of reminiscent of the crap that the new design head at BMW autos has been taking. Guess it ain't easy being a design visionary working for a company with a design history like Ducati (or BMW).

I like the new(ish) SuperSports, the 999 and, especially, the Multistrada. Not nuts on the front ends, but the rest of them are just outstanding, IMO. But it's the fact that the latter two are such practical steps forward that really sets Terblanche apart. No, he may not be the stylist that Massimo is/was, but he's designing better bikes, IMO.

In the long run, I think that's what will count.
boxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:21 PM   #8
detansinn
Founding Member

Pierre has brought a clear fresh vision to Ducati. For example, the 999 is truly a work of art. It's Ducati's equivalent of the Ferrari Enzo. Like the Enzo, the 999 has strange and unfamiliar lines that look odd on paper, yet fantastic in the flesh. Pierre's designs clearly bother the traditionalists, but not Ducati's bottom-line.

Massimo may be a genius, but he knows nothing of how to keep your arse cool in traffic. haha. That said, I am a big fan Massimo's post-Ducati work (http://www.buzzwordenabled.com/mv).
detansinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:53 PM   #9
iamz
Founding Member

The subtle design changes to the Monsters over the years is all that is required. The bike was nearly perfect from the start. I'd hate to see them do anything too drastic.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 05:16 PM   #10
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Ducati Designs has it Going!

Buz, if you and KPaul can agree on this one, it's gotta be the majority opinion.....

that is, the new ST fairing is so marginal that it makes the mediocrity of the old one look OK.

Ducati Designs has a nice upgrade for the old one, though. And a well-thought-out site, too. MOfos who like Ducs should check it out.

I'm thinking about an ST for my second bike and have ridden the 4s a couple of times. I took my wife out on it and she said "Reminds me of your CBR1000F, but with a cool 'boom boom boom' from the engine," which from her is high praise indeed.

A couple of questions--

How is wind protection? OK for two-up trips? I'm a sportbike guy so my expectations of "comfort" are sorta minimal. The wife, however, expects a real seat and a grab rail, and enough room for her legs.

Has your 4s been reliable? This seems to be the big crapshoot with Ducs.

nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote