Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 09-22-2003, 11:19 AM   #21
maladg

Default Re: Updated Sport Touring Line for Ducati

Danged if I'm going to opine on looks until I see it in person. I've been wrong in both directions way too many times. I suspect one or two Morons have also made said same mistake! If fact, like the "cookin cajun" - I garounteeeee it.

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2003, 12:43 PM   #22
nbyers

Default Sport Tourers.....

Yeah, I've turned similar thoughts over in my brain as well. I'm feeling the heat from the females in my life (no, no, only one wife but I've got two daughters) that they'd like some decent passenger accommodations, not to mention a nice built-in suitcase for their stuff.

My CBR1000F was a fantastic bike but heavy. If it felt heavy at 600 lbs that puts the ST1300 and BMW K1200 (not to mention the Conk) out of the running. So we're talking:

Ducati ST series; Triumph Sprint; VFR (last generation) with aftermarket bags; BMW R1100S.

All about 530 lbs. wet and not a dog in the bunch. Ducati's maintenance reputation is an issue, but maybe not as much as people think. A couple of posts back Buz said he's got 19000 on his ST4 with no worries.

BMW R1150R with a windshield would be OK too and a great bike--I encourage MOfos to ride one if you can--but it's a little heavier at maybe 550 lbs.

nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:30 PM   #23
ShamanWS6
Founding Member

Default NEW EU REGULATIONS

In europe now, you have to have only one headlight to stop dozy drivers from thinking they're looking at a car in the distance.

No, I'm not kidding.
2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE #100)
2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE #100)
2008 KX 450F
2007 Tuono 1000R
http://www.trackfanatics.ca/
ShamanWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:34 PM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: NEW EU REGULATIONS

Is it true they won't let you wear dark face shields because they don't think you're bright enough to switch to a clear one at night?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 04:55 AM   #25
PJ
Founding Member

Default Re: Updated Sport Touring Line for Ducati

You can say that again! There bikes have made a steady progression from "way cool" to "looks Japanese" to the point that, now that I can afford one, I don't want one. The older Ducs are still distinctive, so that's what I'm considering.

They still aren't really suitable tourers. Anybody who would buy a chain drive bike for serious distance riding probably deserves to spend some time on their knees, at a motel, in the rain, adjusting the thing! Good bike for old posers though.
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:50 AM   #26
Duckatee

Default Re: Other Sport Tourers with ABS?

Been there, done dat...

I've researched to death the same list of bikes and the short list is now down to FJR (non-ABS) and the Triumph Tiger of all things. Lot of interesting gravel roads and such in my area to explore and I like the Tiger better than the BMW GS. Besides, the free saddlebag offer makes it a heck of a value.

I love the ST4 (also the ST2), but there isn't enough difference to justify replacing my aging 900ss with nelson-riggs softside bags with it. I've done 10 day 2600 mile ride with that setup and worked great.
Duckatee is offline   Reply With Quote