Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 09-21-2003, 09:03 PM   #11
v2-90
Founding Member

Default Re: Updated Sport Touring Line for Ducati

I'm not impressed with the looks of the new ST's, however the new ST3's motor is very impressive. I believe they raised compression over the former ST2 powerplant and have been able to get 102HP out of it. Gear ratios are the same as the SS, but with a taller rear sprocket (42 vs. 3.

The former ST2's motor beat out the 900SS by a couple of ponies, but this iteration really impresses. I believe Ducati is still basing this motor off of the original 907ie motor that the ST2 was based off of?

I'd love to see MO get their hands on a new ST3 - I'm sort of tired of only hearing about the ST4S (w/ or w/o ABS) - ST2's (and now ST3's) were the original and still the solid seller in the ST lineup.

v2-90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2003, 09:23 PM   #12
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Definitely agree with Buz on this one

Ducati Designs headlight treatment is much better.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:20 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Designs has it Going!

I've got an ST4 (916 motor) rather than the 4s.

Wind protection is not the greatest however I installed one of those laminar lip gizmos that has helped quite a bit over stock. You'll need an electric vest when it gets cold. Check out www.powerletproducts.com and you can upgrade the stock outlet so you and the little woman can run vests.

Throw away the stock seat and get a Sargent. Helibars are a nice addition too.

The bike has been stone reliable. I've got 19,000 on mine and nothing has gone wrong. I bought it from a dealer so I purchased the extended warranty (until 2006) and I haven't made a claim yet. Currently I need a new clutch and chain but that's to be expected.

All my female passengers have loved it. There's nothing like the boom boom of a Duc (w/Fast by Ferraci pipes) under acceleration (or deceleration for that matter).
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:40 AM   #14
Fangit
Founding Member

Default Not bad, but shoulda had underseat exhaust ala...

R1100S and Futura. Ground clearance is then not a issue and both the BM and Aprilia have well designed pannier racks that are not an eyesore when the panniers are removed. Unlike the Duc ST racks. Very agricultural by comparison.

Redeigning the headlight addressed one of the STs flaws, shame they didn't addess the exhaust and pannier racks.
Fangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:08 AM   #15
Fangit
Founding Member

Default And...the Futura still looks to be superior IMO...

and I'm hoping on the next iteration Aprilia at least replace the rear shock, goofy instruments and maybe the mirrors and it'd just about be perfect.
Fangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:51 AM   #16
sarnali
Founding Member

Are you going to trade up to this model Buz? Which one is it that has the spendy valve adjustments I've heard about? I think it's the ST4S

I guess this 3 valve "L" head is the same engine they use in the Multi-Strada. I think Terreblanches designs look good myself the only thing I don't like is the way the pipe hangs so low under the engine. Given my habit of bounceing down logging roads on my street bikes I'm afraid it would get flattened real quick.

Other than that I'd take this anyday.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 08:33 AM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

The 4 valve head (ST4 or ST4s)is generally more expensive.

The 3 valve motor is not the same in the Multistrada. The Multistrada is air-cooled 1000 DS motor.

The ST3 is liquid cooled and 992 cc.

I'm not going to trade up because I just don't see enough of a difference to justify it. I would like ABS but my Duc is paid for right now so I think I'll keep my money in the bank.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:57 AM   #18
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Updated Sport Touring Line for Ducati

Looks like any Honda/Yamaha out there. Standard looks and valve adjustments from hell. All at a very high price. What a deal.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 11:50 AM   #19
F451
Founding Member

Default Out-of-Wedlock Child

Are the Italians and the Japanese having an affair and this is their out-of-wedlock child? I love the Italian bikes for their being just that -- "Italian." Someone please stop this affair before Ducati is no longer Ducati.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 12:12 PM   #20
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default Other Sport Tourers with ABS?

I run hot and cold on the Duc ST series. One day I'm enthusiastic about the relative light weight, stomping twin and over all competence of the package. Then I remember the price and supposed maintnance costs, and I consider potential better options.

I think what keeps bringing me back is the ABS option on the ST4. I like the idea of ABS on a sport tourer. Bottom line, there aren't many other bikes that offer ABS and focus on the sport side of the equation. BMW models are about the same price with less power and more weight and the power assist feature on the RT strikes me as just plain ridiculous. The ST1300 is way heavy and too tourer for my tastes. The FJR is a very attractive option and running a very close second, but it might be just a little too portly and on the touring side of the equation. But, it very well may offer the best compromise. The only bike that seems relatively close in overall balance and appeal is the new VFR with ABS, but the VTEC gimmickery and the addition of linked brakes strikes me again as unnecessary masturbatory engineering (like the BMW).

So, at the end of the struggle, it winds up a toss up between the ST4 and FJR. Not sure how this one is going to pan out...

Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote