Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Ducati News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/)
-   -   Ducati Fila Replica (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/1932-ducati-fila-replica.html)

cycleguy26 06-21-2003 09:36 AM

RE: musings from teh WalMart parking lot...

Do the stickers make the bike a better ride than any other top of the line Ducati 999? Will they make you ride like Hodgson? I think not. I'm not trying to bash Ducati, they make great bikes, but for the average rider, with an average income, there are much more appropriate alternatives. And to all you who must stick out your pinky while sipping your champagne and smoke your cigarettes on those long sticks, I'm sorry I called you fools or idiots. You just have a different set of value$.

VMan_1 06-21-2003 09:47 AM

Re: there's a fool born every minute

To presume someone is insecure if they buy this bike is a very pragmatic and defensive

position. One of the principle reasons we all buy “new” bikes is due to the joy of owning it. Really, a five-year old bike is no less superior for all but the best riders. The rest just makes us “feel” good, maybe even makes us "think" we are faster.

There is ego involved.

cycleguy26 06-21-2003 09:49 AM

I am a bit of an eccentric. Not a bad thing, because I consider my eccentricities to be in a positive way. I donate to charity more than I spend on "toys" for my self. I find myself very fortunate to be in the status I'm in and feel no better about myself than when I did have to save just to go to McDonald's. I've gone from getting my food at a food bank to being able to pay cash for just about anything I want, but I always feel as though I am wasting it when spending it on my self, and walk away feeling guilty. Call me frugal. After all, it's easier for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle........

cycleguy26 06-21-2003 09:53 AM

I must disagree about one thing. Warranty makes a new bike much better than a five year old bike, in my way of thinking. But if whatever it is you have makes you happy, that's really all that counts.

VMan_1 06-21-2003 10:18 AM

A bike five years old is usually worth less then 50% of the cost of a new one. Even replacing the engine does not cost as much as the "warranty". That's why used bikes are the required choice for those who can not afford to buy new ones.

Now, piece of mind is another benefit of the newer bike, but with a price attached.

john 06-21-2003 11:55 AM

you are a real retard to be commenting on someone else's values.

If someone can afford it, why not?

It also does have some trick parts on it not on any of the other 999s.

Its an F'ing ducati. its not made for the "average rider with the average income" get the chip off of your shoulder.

KPaulCook 06-21-2003 01:56 PM

Ducati the Harley of Sport Bikes makes an Edsel

Oh great ! You mean I can get a gawdy looking Edsel, 999, for few thousand bucks more. No thanks I'll take Bostrom or Bayliss 998 please.

Get your racing Edsel (click here)

brickl 06-21-2003 05:32 PM

RE: musings from the WalMart parking lot...

Cycleguy26: Some people buy Ducatis for the same reason you bought your sensible Honda Rebel instead of an even more sensible moped - it makes them (and you) feel good to splurge on a luxury once in a while. You know, a simple yet estimable attempt to experience the things that make a man happy before he eventually croaks.

Better check on that lump of coal you've got up your bung, it might be a diamond by now. Or not.

Nplateau 06-21-2003 09:40 PM

Damn right. I am so freaking' with you on this one. Let me take it one step further though... DOWN WITH MATERIALISM!!! DOWN WITH CAPITALISM!!! FREE MOTORCYCLES FOR ALL!!!

fujinator 06-22-2003 12:38 PM

F*ck'n'ay!!!