Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 02-19-2003, 03:14 AM   #31
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati MotoGP Bike Intro Feedback

Sorry, no offense intended... I've been drafting legal crap all day. Can't help myself sometimes..
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2003, 04:43 AM   #32
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Perhaps if you'd pony up enough dough, they'd put your name on the side.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 05:19 AM   #33
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Agreed. And I think the strokers could be made to last long enough if they were fitted with some directed oil-feed magic.

As a die-hard 2-stroke fan, I -have- to believe that at some point in the future, so long as the rules are not written to forbid them, they will make a comeback. All of their 'issues' are addressable, and even when addressed represent less moving parts than a 4s, and less complication therein, and

surely less expense.

I think Honda will crush the spirit of the 4s GP ranks by simply outspending everyone into oblivion. That's their right, and I have no argument with it.. just pointing it out. I think the only racing front that they've entered that they didn't dominate has been F1... and how long until they do there as well?

(switching gears a bit...)

Did anyone notice that Tim Ferry switched back to a 2-stroke for one supercross race a couple of weeks ago? Why did he do that? He's back on the 4s, but I never heard an explanation as to why the switch? Was it because he thought a 2s would be more competitive for the given race? Hmmm.

I think the new 4s thumpers are great, but I still think they have a ways to go. All the winning is still done on 2s bikes (when both are being raced together). LaRocco tried the 4s Honda, but switched back to the 2s. Is that -all- just because he grew up on 2s and couldn't adapt?.. or something else...FFT (no, not 'fast-fourier-transform', food-for-thought )

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 05:41 AM   #34
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

How much faster can these bikes get?

I personally think it's 80% better tires, 20% better bike that increases the lap times.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 06:23 AM   #35
nweaver
Founding Member

Default The 2-strokes died...

The 2-strokes died the moment the Honda RC211V fired up its engine on the starting grid. I doubt any will linger past the first few races of this season.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 08:08 AM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

Now now, Buz. Don't pick on Itchy. He's in good company. Everyone knows how evil tobacco companies are. Itchy has joined the proud tradition that includes pogroms against smokers. These pogroms began earlier this century with the first anti-smoking laws ever passed, in Nazi Germany, by Adolf Hitler.

Yep, good company for the elitists who know what's best for us all.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:37 AM   #37
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Pretty funny seruzawa. I guess Itchy forgot that by riding a motorcycle he is supporting the use of gasoline, which is clearly labled as having carcinogenic compounds in it's make up. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:27 AM   #38
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I have a feeling he wouldn't be nearly as horrified if Planned Parenthood's name was on the side.

"Those of you who say you didn't know the dangers of tobacco are lying through the hole in your trachea." - Dennis Miller
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 02:55 PM   #39
NoKneeDown
Founding Member

Anybody know anything about the DiTech 2-stroke motor?? There was a write up about it in an issue of Bike a couple months ago (New ZX6R on the cover.) It's supposed to be a clean(er) burning design and Aprilia may be looking into it for a 1000cc road version. They say it can pass U.S. emission regulations and with the demise of the RS250 they are exploring new options for the 2stroke. Who knows??
NoKneeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 04:12 PM   #40
smythie
Founding Member

I can't wait to see if the companies go the way of introducing smaller 4 strokes to the market. It will make the "Learner" scene much more interesting for those who want a good sporty road bike. Especially in Australia.