Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Ducati News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/)
-   -   Ducati MotoGP Bike Intro Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/1639-ducati-motogp-bike-intro-feedback.html)

Mooner 02-18-2003 02:33 PM

Re: Ducati MotoGP Bike Intro Feedback: V4's are the go, in-lines are so last year.

No offence Kpaul, but based on "ideal" motorcycle traits, when was the last time the VFR won a race? It would appear it's time has came and gone just like the V Twin ; )

NoKneeDown 02-18-2003 02:33 PM

Re: Ducati MotoGP Bike Intro Feedback

Oh, and now that everybody's up and running with 4 strokes, do the 2-strokes have a chance anymore?? Whaddya think ladies and gents, is it now just a matter of (little) time? Is this series any less exoctic or special than it was when premix filled the air?

rsheidler 02-18-2003 03:42 PM

I believe that the only 2-strokes that will be entered are to be Proton, for the first race or two -- depending on how the shakedown of their new 4-stroke V5 goes. Other than that, they are competely history in the MotoGP class. I understand that Yamaha and Honda have already crushed most, if not all, of last year's models. Too bad! Hopper managed to save a few parts (out of the dumpster) from his bike as souvenirs.

Probably only a matter of time and the 125 and 250 2-strokes will also be extinct.

Bob

rsheidler 02-18-2003 03:47 PM

Re: Good bye V-Twins

Not to mention the Yamaha M1 (my pick for 2003 champion) is an inline 4.

Bob

Benji155 02-18-2003 06:55 PM

I think it's kind of sad to see the two strokes go, but it got me thinking (something I do from time to time). What if 1000cc two strokes were allowed? Would that be way too much power to control or would tires become too big an issue? How much power do you suppose could be got from such an engine? Since I'm not exactly mechanically inclined maybe some of you would care to speculate.

itchface 02-18-2003 07:25 PM

How tragic that Ducati felt it necessary to sell its soul in the quest for sponsorship. Anyone associated with Marlboro, or any other purveyor of cancer-vessels, deserves to have poisoned darts shot into their eyeballs.

I had planned to buy a new Ducati this year (an M1000S) but their sell-out has disgusted me so much that I just decided to order a new Speed Triple instead.

I sure as hell hope I'm not the only one who feels this disappointed in Ducati's lack of corporate conscience.

SeanAlexander 02-18-2003 08:10 PM

Tire and fuel consumption would both be issues. But with modern FI and Computers, the power delivery could be kept managebale and the machine weight could be very sweet. I think if the money was invested you'd see the 1000cc deuce strokes at the front, but don't know it it would last an entire race.

BadCop 02-18-2003 08:24 PM

Tragic?? Sheesh, you'd think Ducati just committed a criminal act. If this qualifies as a tragedy, what hyperbole describes, say, a bleeding heart?

Face reality and get used to it. Demonizing this or that product just because you or certain groups with their own agenda happen to dislike it is typical leftist screed. I'm no smoker nor apologist for the tobacco industry, but I respect people's freedom to make their own choices about what they drink, eat, smoke, drive (including suv's), etc, etc. so long it's within legal bounds, and they take responsibility for those choices. Vote with your feet as you have done with your choice of bike, it's your right (at least in the US of A). But please, don't think your conscience should be my or anyone's litmus test regarding the choices I make.

Steven_Verschoor 02-18-2003 08:29 PM

I'm with you, Itchy.

merv 02-18-2003 08:32 PM

Re: Ducati MotoGP Bike Intro Feedback: V4's are the go, in-lines are so last year.

Basically it would have been the RC45 version which last won the WSB with Kocinski in 1997 but while they were the fastest 4s Honda switched to the VTR1000 not long after to match the capacity of the Ducs. Same happened with AMA I guess after DuHamel and Bostrom rode the RC45.

Now with MotoGP the rules are allowing them to have more cylinders so Honda puts out the V5 which I guess they figured was superior to the V4 based on those rules. The old 500cc rules limited them to 4 cylinders and that's as many as the 2-strokes had. All in all if you look at the last 15 - 20 years of 500cc and the WSB there weren't too many in-line engines winning much except for Scott Russell in 93.

Go back a while and sure some of the early Yamaha 500cc 2-strokes were sort of inlines - the twin cranks side by side but the Suzukis were square fours and Honda brought out the V3 and then the V4 and then all the 500cc went V4 to try and match the power of the Hondas - seemingly always and impossible thing to do. Chassis seemed to be Hondas bugbear in the earlier years but no-one ever said they had slow engines and once again after the RC211V all the others are playing catch-up.

The M1 may do it, but so far the in-lines haven't looked like easily and regularly knocking the V engines off the top of the podium. The Duc looks promising and the surprise may be the Cube which with only 3 cylinders should struggle but they talk like it has awesome power, but crap rideability. If only Edwards can sort it out who knows.

Meanwhile Honda has turned the VFR into and awesome road bike and gone on to race faster engines. KPaul will love the VFR - does he have a smile to mile formula to calculate - VFRs are high on that as far as I am concerned.

Cheers

Merv.