Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 02-15-2003, 02:24 PM   #1
Vlad
Founding Member

Default At last

I'm glad to hear that Ducati has decided to bite the bullet and change the top at Ducati NA. As a former Ducati dealership general manager, I can tell you that Ducati NA has never really understood how to sell their bikes over here. Their marketing and dealer support was dismal, as was reflected in their declining sales. The dealers that I have remained in touch with were not happy with the organization. One even made the comment to me that Piazza didn't understand sport bike marketing, as he came from the cruiser community.

I only hope that they hire people that understand the marque and the revered place it holds in the minds of the sportbike community. All too often they have seemed to make their choice based on the last name of the candidate ending in a vowel rather than on any in depth understanding of the sportbike market in the US.

Oh, yeah, if anyone at DucatiNA reads this, my resume is on the way. I may complain, but the real reason I do is that your superb machines should be in the hands of many more Americans. Anyone who hasn't ridden one should try it and find out how well these babies handle. Many a high horsepower sport bike has been humbled by a Ducati on a mountain road.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2003, 07:24 AM   #2
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: At last

That meshes with what I have heard also. I never did understand the choice.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 12:59 PM   #3
zx-6r_maniac
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati North America CEO Leaves Company

im biased...ill admit it...i dont like ducatis...i just dont by this nonsense about them being ferrari's version of bikes...this much is true, they are very expensive, which generally tends to hurt sales. Some of you may say "price is not everything" and youre right, its not. Price is the most important thing out of all the things about a bike though. This shake up in management tells me that something didnt get accomplished--im thinking sales-- and the captain of the ship had to take the fall for it. Tough position Mr Piazza was on. Its not easy to sell bikes in the teens. Even more difficult in years where the economy takes a pounding (unemployment, frozen 401k's, etc)

They need to do something and its not firing their management staff. They have to face the facts, they need to be more competitive price wise. its a simple solution. Even if theyre underpowered and uncomfortable, if they cost the same (or somewhere close) people may go for their option. Glamour should cost hundreds not thousands. If they dont like it...well theres the possibility of an explosive iraqui market once we're done there...
zx-6r_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 01:00 PM   #4
zx-6r_maniac
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati North America CEO Leaves Company

im biased...ill admit it...i dont like ducatis...i just dont buy this nonsense about them being ferrari's version of bikes...this much is true, they are very expensive, which generally tends to hurt sales. Some of you may say "price is not everything" and youre right, its not. Price is the most important thing out of all the things about a bike though. This shake up in management tells me that something didnt get accomplished--im thinking sales-- and the captain of the ship had to take the fall for it. Tough position Mr Piazza was on. Its not easy to sell bikes in the teens. Even more difficult in years where the economy takes a pounding (unemployment, frozen 401k's, etc)

They need to do something and its not firing their management staff. They have to face the facts, they need to be more competitive price wise. its a simple solution. Even if theyre underpowered and uncomfortable, if they cost the same (or somewhere close) people may go for their option. Glamour should cost hundreds not thousands. If they dont like it...well theres the possibility of an explosive iraqui market once we're done there...
zx-6r_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote