Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 10-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
DeadJet
Registered Member

Default A Duc Cruiser?

Found this today and thought it was pretty cool. They only made two of these behemoths, but can you imagine if they had gone through with it on a larger scale?
DeadJet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

These guys convert Ducatis into choppers: Home
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:33 AM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

Some interesting bikes there:

Robert C
Old 10-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadJet View Post
Found this today and thought it was pretty cool. They only made two of these behemoths, but can you imagine if they had gone through with it on a larger scale?
Motorcycle history is fascinating. Like cars, their history reflect on the wider society that produced and used them. That's one reason I like Matt's articles so much (when he gets around to writing them!!).

There are parts of the story that don't make sense to me. They said the bike failed in great part because there weren't tires that could take the weight and power. Yet the bike is said to weigh 500 pounds; that doesn't seem much more than a contemporary HD. It also said the bike made 100 hp...that's a lot for '63, but it seems like there had to have been others putting out comparable power.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
pplassm
Founding Member

They were mandated by the rules to use existing 16 inch tires. The bike was targeted at police department contracts.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Motorcycle history is fascinating. Like cars, their history reflect on the wider society that produced and used them. That's one reason I like Matt's articles so much (when he gets around to writing them!!).

There are parts of the story that don't make sense to me. They said the bike failed in great part because there weren't tires that could take the weight and power. Yet the bike is said to weigh 500 pounds; that doesn't seem much more than a contemporary HD. It also said the bike made 100 hp...that's a lot for '63, but it seems like there had to have been others putting out comparable power.
No, there wasn't a bike you could get that made over maybe 50hp. A 750 Norton or a Sportster was it. Those might see 50 on a good day.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
DeadJet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
These guys convert Ducatis into choppers: Home
Hey thanks for that, Trent, that's cool.

Quote:
Kenneth_Moore
Quote:

Yeah I'm a huge fan of American History in general, and just researching anything that I hold near and dear to me. Ducati was really inventive/crazy back in the day, as evidenced by their experimental go cart
DeadJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadJet View Post
Yeah I'm a huge fan of American History in general, and just researching anything that I hold near and dear to me. Ducati was really inventive/crazy back in the day, as evidenced by their experimental go cart
Me too! It was my favorite subject in school and college.

From the 1946 Ducati cart article:

this engine was a 90° L-twin cylinder and the frame was designed with trellis tubes – both just like the Ducatis of today.