Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 06-06-2002, 11:42 AM   #1
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati North America on the move

Here's my off-topic comment for the day...

I've ridden through Cali twice now and I've decided one of the best parts about it is lane-splitting. While there are those who scoff at such behavior, in my defense, I only did it when traffic got really gnarled.

The question I would like answered is: What steps were taken that lead to lane-splitting being legalized in California, and what are some opinions on how to lobby for it in my own state?

Perhaps I should mention that "my own state" also happens to be the home of a certain Motor Company that builds big, slow, and heavy motorcycles that generally wouldn't fit well between lanes anyway.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2002, 12:03 PM   #2
coqui
Founding Member

Continued off topic....

There are no laws, as far as I know, which make lane splitting legal/illegal in California. Meaning there is no law making it illegal and there is no law saying it is legal. It is up to the discretion of the Police officer to decide whether you are driving in a safe manner. For the most part they don't bother you as long as you are lane splitting at pretty slow speeds, in the 25mph ball park. Keep the rubber side down.

Coqui...

coqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 12:33 PM   #3
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Hmm. Didja notice they don't say _where_ in California they're moving? Seems kinda odd to issue a press release that says you're moving if you haven't yet nailed down your destination. Are they keeping it a secret for some reason? Or are they just geographically-challenged easterners for whom "California" means "Los Angeles and environs"?

Then again, maybe this is a request for bids from California cities who want to bring in a new employer. What kind of tax breaks can we get for bringing X jobs to your city? Though, really, with parts and bike distribution outsourced, how many people are left for the HQ to employ? It's probably bigger than MO, but I'd bet it's smaller than, say, Lincoln-Mercury (who will probably be vacating their new Irvine digs and heading back to Detroit soon).
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 01:32 PM   #4
Captain_1
Founding Member

California is a good move for Ducati. The automakers all have design centers bordering the pacific for good reason. California is the bellwether of future (especially auto related) trends. Besides, the weather is better in California. Arrivederci Pompton Plains.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 01:52 PM   #5
Captain_1
Founding Member

Ducati N.A. reorganized (axed management) several months ago due to disappointing U.S. results. The new management team has been well received by its retail organization. I don't know Ducati N.A.'s current headcount, but it would probably occupy less than 5% of L-M's Irvine office including a large showroom. It will be interesting to see if Ford moves L-M back to Dearborn. My guess, Mercury gets absorbed into Ford Division, Lincoln gets to stay with direction from PAG.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 02:48 PM   #6
KPaulCook
Banned

Careful you have said something bad about Harley, you are bound to infamous on this site now.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 03:02 PM   #7
Poser
Founding Member

Default Who cares what they do in California, anyway

Ok, I am just jealous. I live near the Pacific but spend about ten months of the year being a wet rider. California is a good place for Ducati.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 03:35 PM   #8
neko
Founding Member

Damn, I knew I should have tried for a job with them earlier--I used to live 2 miles from their (NJ) HQ. Cali will be much better for them.
neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 05:48 PM   #9
4in6
Founding Member

The reason it is legal in California is because air cooled motorcycles were overheating in the hot southern California climate. This in turn was causing the already horrable traffic as Mr. Burns can attest to even worse. The law by the way states that motorcycles can lane split in traffic up to 45mph. The motorcycle is not to exceed 5mph faster than surronding traffic. Therefore if traffic is going 15mph your top speed is suppose to be 20mph and so on until traffic reaches 46 mph then you are suppose to fall back into a lane and proceed as usual. So if you can convince the state of Wisconson or the city of Millwaukee (Which is the local indian tribe word meaning the Good Land.) I guess they new way back then that allot of beer was going to be made there. Well any ways back to the original subject. If you can convince them that the extreme heat of your state and gridlock make it sensible than you should be in there.

P.S. Send me some cheese and beer you hoser
4in6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 05:50 PM   #10
v2-90
Founding Member

With the big 4 Japanese manufacturers located in the Los Angeles metro area, my money's on Ducati moving to that same location. Perhaps the Irvine/Orange County area, but I can't seem them moving to NoCal, just doesn't make business sense.

Then again, Ducati has always been a bit quirky, so maybe they'll move to Bakersfield or Fresno...

v2-90