Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 06-06-2002, 08:32 PM   #11
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Ducati North America on the move

LOL ATFL best laugh I have had all day. Keep it up you hoser.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2002, 06:21 AM   #12
bharriet
Founding Member

Default Re: lane spilting in CA

As coqui stated there is no law in Calif. that makes lane spliting legal or illegal.

However there are several laws that officer Ollie can use if he wants to give you a

ticket. And 4in6 was correct in that it is tolerated because of the major traffic problems

in LA and air cooled motorcycles were over heating. And another reasons is simply the

CHP does it. 4in6 was incorrect about the 45mph law, there is no such law in CA! Now down to

the practical matters. 1). Lane spilting violates the concept of space cushioning and see

and be seen (MSF rider course). 2) If your going to lane split, traffic should be at a virtual stop. With traffic moving even

at 15mph some idiot will try to change lanes, and that idiot will never see a motorcycle.

3) Only lane split in the #1 and #2 lanes (left most lanes). 4) Travel only about 5mph

faster than traffic, and move back into the #1 lane when traffic is moving. 5) Keep

your head and eyes up and looking well ahead for cars and trucks with huge mirrors. 6)

Cover your clutch and front brake.

Be safe, have fun and look good
bharriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 06:49 AM   #13
Grover
Founding Member

eh, take-off you hosers, if they catch me talking with yous two they might lock me up and throw away the key, ya' know?
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 07:25 AM   #14
motoCG
Founding Member

There is no such law concerning "lane splitting" in CA. You can get a ticket for unsafe driving/riding (or whatever the legal term for this is), but its up to the officer to decide what in unsafe.

BTW, I doubt CA lawmakers would create a law with air cooled motorcycles in mind. You might want to try using the "my motorcycle was overheating" excuse if you ever get pulled over.
motoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 07:53 AM   #15
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default there IS a law in california ...

there is a law regarding lanesplitting, but it is referred to as "lane sharing." it is correctly articulated in the post above.

the main thing that cops look out for is if you're weaving from one lane to the next while you're sharing. they want you to share one lane and stay there. i have been stopped a couple of times for weaving; never ticketed. and i split lanes in my commute each and every damned day.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 08:00 AM   #16
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Re: lane spilting in CA

there IS law on the books regarding lane sharing and it correctly articulated above. i lane split on my commute every day. in 9 years i have been stopped twice (never ticketed) for not staying in one lane that i was sharing. cops don't like it when you share one lane then the other, weaving back and forth.

interesting you should quote the MSF. don't they have it in their skill code that you should NEVER cover the front brake? their logic: if you do and you crash, the brake lever can injure or maim the fingers remaining on the right grip that are under the brake lever. this twisted gem of moto illogic never ceased to amaze me. i have had some heated debates with MSF "experts" regarding this point.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 08:03 AM   #17
intruderman
Founding Member

I'm seriously questioning the intelligence of current Ducati management when they've chosen not to attend the Honda Hoot this year. Last year, theirs was one of the most popular tents. Being able to test ride their bikes was the number one reason why Ducati is now my favorite make. Before that I couldn't imagine what was so special about a Ducati that people would be willing to shell out the bucks and put up with the exhorbitatant cost of maintenance. They're really shooting themselves in the foot by not attending the Hoot this year.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 09:26 AM   #18
flann
Founding Member

How can a motorcycle distributor possibly outsource "motorcycle distribution" and "management of parts"? What's left for them other than audit warranty claims? They can UPS overnight parts from Italy directly to the dealer, and maybe ship special order batches a similar way cheaper/slower...but outsource motorcycle distribution? That will be a leftovers blowout every year, attempting to sell containers of various Ducati models through a contracted warehouse. Hmmm, it just might work.
flann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 10:54 AM   #19
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Ducati North America to NoCal.

Ducati has said they are going to Northern California in a press release.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 10:56 AM   #20
Captain_1
Founding Member

Some top-name auto and truck companies outsourced distribution years ago to Caterpillar. The whole process is transparent to the customer and saves the importer money.

Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote