Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 05-14-2002, 02:33 PM   #1
surfnm
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati posts record earnings

First post!

Lets hope the upcoming GP bike keeps the momentum going. On the designer side somebody still has to fill Massimo's Tamburini's shoes....I have yet to see anyone pull out the exciting designs (748/916 for Ducati and the F4 for Augusta) that he is capable of.
surfnm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2002, 04:01 PM   #2
Bryan8252
Founding Member

Take a look at the new GP bike--is that design at it's absolute best or what? What a gorgeous bike. Nice to see Ducati doing so well; that can only help us Duc nuts.

Bryan
Bryan8252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 04:02 PM   #3
TheFox
Founding Member

Default TPG's moves

The way Texas Pacific Group has been acting, they are trying to replicate Harley-Davidson...but ONLY in the US are they using that idea. They are pushing accessories, clothing, and community, and the feeling of mystique and exclusivity so as to add value to the sale. It works for Harley, why not Ducati?

Christ, go look at their website! It's one of the best in motorcycling. Fast, reliable, and more. They give tips on technical information, from simple stuff like to how to change a spark plug and teaching you how 4 stroke engines work, all the way up to explaining the Desmodromic valve system. They give riding tips, real ones you can use. They encourage readers to share information and post stores about trips, ask tech questions so they can answer them on the boards, and set up a private web stite for auctioning purposes. It's really impressive.

Go to www.ducati.com, with it's plethora of information (including all part and accessory numbers online - no more looking through catalogues!) and then go to any other manufacturer's site, except Harley Davidson. Ducati's is far and away the most helpful and indepth.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 04:24 PM   #4
runner00
Founding Member

Well considering how they have been doing in racing and producing realworld bikes like

the S4, ST2, ST4S and the entry level 620i.e it is understandable. I think they could sell

even more bikes if they offered some options which would make some of their bikes

less aggressive as far as seating posture is concerned. Options...they are a good thing.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 05:45 PM   #5
guzziguy
Founding Member

Went on a second tour of the Ducati factory a month ago. Was a pale imitation of the tour we got 3 years ago. This year no picture taking was allowed, no detailed explanations of anything, just a quick walk through of the main floor. A few years ago, you could take pictures of everything, a technician demonstrated the inner workings of the desmo cylinder head, the automated machinery equipment was running full tilt, etc. Then to top it off this year, the museum was closed because there was a meeting being held in it. Why even bother scheduling tours if the museum is closed? Very disappointing treatment for motorcycle enthusiasts who traveled a long ways and went to some trouble to see their operation. I suspect their monetary success is having some negative effects. I also agree with surfnm that they need a new designer fast. Pierre's street designs are ugly! Witness the Multistrada.... Yuck!!!
guzziguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 04:21 AM   #6
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Indeed. The current SS is fugly and the ST looks far more dull than an ST1100.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 04:39 AM   #7
crackerdaddy
Founding Member

Default New Designs

I agree with the previous posters that the new designs are weak. I would not buy one of the new SSes just because they are so damn homely.

The engine of the Multistrada appeals to me but man somebody whacked that thing with a big ol' ugly stick.

I still want a Duc some day though.
crackerdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 06:35 AM   #8
Mooner
Founding Member

As an interesting side note on the dealership thing. There is a Ducati dealer in Minnesota that has been around since (I believe) the late sixties. The guys that own it were good friends of my dad's back in high school. Anyway, the mechanic is arguably one of the best Ducati mechanics around. They are getting their dealership pulled because they are not willing to invest the money in the computerized fuel injection stuff (guess they figure it's not profitable). Well, my point is that it's too bad to see stuff like this happen, the place is like a miniature Ducati and Norton museum.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 06:37 AM   #9
mconlon
Founding Member

Cool! Does that mean they can lower prices to even approach the cost/performance ratio of just about every other major manufacturer on the planet? Don't hold your breath, folks...

Mike C
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 08:15 AM   #10
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Have you seen the front of the thing or are they still working on it? If they get the Chassis dialed in as well as the WSBK bike it may be second only to the RCV. Looks like form as well as function was considered.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote