Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 02-04-2002, 09:21 AM   #1
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati announces 989 cc V-Four MotoGP bike

First post!

Is this thing really going to make 220 horse at the crank, or is Ducati being optimistic, or is this just a typo?

I was hoping for something exotic, something totally insane, like an 8 cylinder. I'm not suprised they stayed desmodromic though. So my question is this: how will the firing order assist in maintaining traction? Any engineers out there than can help me out?

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2002, 09:36 AM   #2
xIrvx
Founding Member

Default pulsating and throbbing

I'm not an engineer, I would rather do than think! lol

There is a difference between static friction and sliding friction. Remember when you were a kid and wanted to sled down the hill? The sleigh wouldn't go unless you gave it a push. The idea of big bang is similiar: the rear tire breaks loose as it is subjected to thrust when the piston is on the power stroke. The tire then re-grips (static friction) while the piston goes through exhaust/intake/compression. The cycle of static grip-breaking loose-sliding grip has higher average traction than constant sliding grip. There was an excellent article written by Cycle magazine back in the 70s about tire traction mechanisms.
xIrvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 09:39 AM   #3
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati announces 989 cc V-Four MotoGP bike

The only engineering I do is electronic, but from what I understand, the less power pulses you have for ever tire rpm, for the same amount of power, the better off the tire is when dealing with the power. I guess it gives the tire a few more milliseconds to rest before the next pulse. Makes no sense to me since most racers are tearing up tires spinning and sliding to steer a bike instead of just staying on the edge of grip, just before the tire begins to slide.

I think Ducati wants the sound to be similar though.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 09:42 AM   #4
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: pulsating and throbbing

Hey, that's like the opposite of Anti-Lock Brakes. Or the same Idea, except used for decel instead of accel.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:03 AM   #5
evilgenius
Founding Member

Default Have you seen the

The other guys are making the Kawasaki seem like a simple souped up ZX-7? Uses identical frame and engine bored out from the ZX-7 that "only" diplaces to between 900cc and 960cc?

What gives? Seems to me that K is making a secondhand effort at developing a GP contender. Could it reflect their financial troubles or their engineer's inability to come up with a unique bike?

Has K reverted to becoming "junkyard scroungers" (looking at old ways and old stuff to soup up things)?
evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 10:46 AM   #6
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Hey Techno-Geeks!

Could Ducati (or anybody) develop a fuel injection/engine management systme that CHANGES the firing order from big-bang to conventional depending on track, lean angle, rider preference, or whatever? I mean, is firing order a mechanical or electronic thing?

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 10:58 AM   #7
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey Techno-Geeks!

It is mechanical. This engine design has each set of pistions going up and down at different times, the first set firing and then the next set firing together maybe 90 or 270 degrees later, depending on where you start. It's all related to the piston/rod connection to the crank, so it's mechanical, then the valve lift/duration/close/ignition is set accordingly wit the fuel injection map, which should be a bit simpler with the ducati set up. This is my attempt at explaining it but I could be wrong. That system you are talking about would require some amazing cams/cranks to change firing order on the run.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:03 AM   #8
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Have you seen the

Knowing Kawasaki, they probably borrowed the XREO engine and modified the 7RR frame (which is always been a great frame on a bike with a sucky engine)... Poof, a GP bike. Oh, and ad some ugly body work too.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:49 AM   #9
evilgenius
Founding Member

The XREO is a V-4 whereareas the Kawi "GP" bike is an in-line 4, just like the ZX-7.

I agree with you that the ZX's frame has always been solid, but the engine hasn't disappointed that much lately. K's been able to keep the big guys in their sights on some occassions.

It's just that time's not on their side and eventually, they'll have to pull an all-outer to come up with a serioius GP contender.

I honestly don't think a souped up ZX-7 can compete against the big guns (call it what you want, but it's a souped up ZX-7 with ghastly bodywork).
evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 11:54 AM   #10
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

I was joking on the engine part, since kaw and suz are "joining some forces". The bike is damn near ugly, and is probably ancient already before it's debut. THey may surprise us though. All you really need is a good rider and that's half of it. Make the bike capable and you may have a winner.