Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 02-06-2002, 01:04 PM   #51
Poser
Founding Member

Default Often wrong, never in doubt

Fearless prediction: Katoh on the NSR wins the championship! Sanctioning bodies scratch their heads!

If the racing is as entertaining as the technical stuff has been in the off-season, 2002 will be an amazing season.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2002, 07:14 PM   #52
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default Re: Miracle bike!

It wouldnt be surprising that the 2-stroke is more reliable - at the moment.

There seem to have been few mechanical failures in recent years for the Honda 500 - I cant remember one myself in fact.

The 2-stroke is a well known, proven design.

The four stroke is relatively new, and has many, many new parts.

Like any design, you dont know how far you can push it until something breaks. I bet they'd love to have the lightest possible power and valve train for minimal reciprocating mass, but you can only go so far. How do you find out? Trial and error.

My guess is that they'll settle on an acceptable level of lightness that proves to be reliable and use that spec at races, then continue bench and track testing updated designs continuously. They already have knowledge in Hi-po four strokes, so I expect they'll be in a strong position come the start of the season. I still think a triple is the way to go. 10 kg difference is a significant percentage difference (7%) and will give them benefits in steering, cornering and braking. a 10% power advantage wont make a bike 10% faster in a straight line.

Cheers!
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 02:26 AM   #53
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default 4 st and reliability

Finally one configuration chosen by more than one factory...... but this one maybe for marketing/tradition as much as technical merit.

Good luck to Ducati - they've done well in the past, but this going to be the first time on a truly level playing field.

The MOTOgp site has comments from Honda that the 2-stroke is more reliable......

It wouldnt be surprising that the 2-stroke is more reliable - at the moment.

There seem to have been few mechanical failures in recent years for the Honda 500 - I cant remember one myself in fact.

The 2-stroke is a well known, proven design.

The four stroke is relatively new, and has many, many new parts.

Like any design, you dont know how far you can push it until something breaks. I bet they'd love to have the lightest possible power and valve train for minimal reciprocating mass, but you can only go so far. How do you find out? Trial and error.

My guess is that they'll settle on an acceptable level of lightness that proves to be reliable and use that spec at races, then continue bench and track testing updated designs continuously. They already have knowledge in Hi-po four strokes, so I expect they'll be in a strong position come the start of the season.

I still think a triple is the way to go. 10 kg difference is a significant percentage difference (7%) and will give them benefits in steering, cornering and braking. a 10% power advantage wont make a bike 10% faster in a straight line.

Cheers!

stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 08:22 PM   #54
spindizzy
Founding Member

Default Re: Have you seen the

The only 'insider information' I have seen came from MCN - the English magazine that reliably informed us that the new 7R was a GSXR with different bodywork. All indications are that this bike is a test mule for the engines and Kawasaki are maintaining a great deal of secrecy about the engine. Remeber that MCN is the magazine that reliably informed us a few weeks ago that the Ducati engine was a twin with pneumatic valves. Oh and they talked up the ZX10R a lot.
spindizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 04:29 AM   #55
erc
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati announces 989 cc V-Four MotoGP bike

The Rossi vs. Katoh fights could be the ONLY point during the first decade of the new millenium... No one will came close - they are as good as Mick!

I hope they keep riding until 2010 - preferably for different manufacturers (Katoh will NEVER leave Honda)

What a legendary decade it would be!!!
erc is offline   Reply With Quote