Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 02-05-2002, 05:25 AM   #31
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati announces 989 cc V-Four MotoGP bike

Oh, and that year that Johnny K won on the RC45, the bike was putting 185 Horses to the ground, much more than the twins. It was a bad design to begin with (short swing arm, long engine, not enough front end bias), that's one reason why honda went with a twin, not just because Ducati was winning. No other 750cc MFR got their 750 four to produce the same quality power as the honda. The suzuki was close but it was really abrupt. Technically, the four can still produce more peak (but less usable) power than a twin. The new GSXR is making less power than the old one. No new zx-7rr. The bikes are just not being developed.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2002, 05:26 AM   #32
fizzer_matt
Founding Member

honda was after smooth delivery, not outright power. a balance v4 will give that, but your tire will pay once the ponnies start climbing.
fizzer_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 07:00 AM   #33
TrumpetSprint
Founding Member

Honda and everybody else did in the F1 2-strokes, they called it the "Big Bang" motor. It gave the various engines more managable power delivery by eliminating the big hit of continuous power when the torque & hp curves peaked at about the same point. This usually lowers the rpm for the torque peak thus reducing the engines ability to light up the rear tire.
TrumpetSprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 07:28 AM   #34
xIrvx
Founding Member

Default is anyone still paying attention?

I read an interview a few years ago, I think about Wayne Gardener. Anyhow, he said the big bang motors got too MUCH traction. His technique was to get the wheel spinning just after the apex of the corner so that the engine would be "spooled up" as the tire hooked up on exit of the corner. I hope the snow melts soon as I am in serious need of a life.
xIrvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 07:55 AM   #35
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: is anyone still paying attention?

If we lived in a perfect world then yes, then everyone would have that configuration. I agree with you, but still, the bike must be set up correct(relative to the rider) to get that traction advantage. If your bike is not set up but you have the BB engine, the guy with the screamer that has a good set up will wax you. Roberts claims his bike has too much traction but the throttle response, power, and brakes suck(GP). Will Big Bang may be an advantage, there is such thing as too much traction. So is it always an advantage?
Old 02-05-2002, 08:45 AM   #36
ccmun
Founding Member

Default Re: Have you seen the

Damn, I thought all the teens left the site. You guys are making ignorant comments based on ether. Who knows what's beneath the plastic? Judging from the placement of the air scoop, it may not based on a blown-up ZX7R. Could it be a monoque-type frame ? What if they are testing a new engine in a ZX7R frame?

Cmon, give em some slack, Kawi dumping is lame--do you really expect them to show their hand this early, or be as far along in the game as the other brands?. On the other hand, Kawi has had a new ZX7R ready since last year and opted to wait until the new rules for GP1. Who knows what exotic ***** they have lurking under the hood. Point is, no one knows....all we know is that GP1 will be slamming.
ccmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 09:53 AM   #37
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Track techniques site WANTED?

Try www.suberbikeschool.com. Keith's Corner has some good articles.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 09:57 AM   #38
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: You really got it all WRONG

Seems to me the best riders get their pick of bikes. It evens out.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:59 AM   #39
jmeyn
Founding Member

Katoh keeps scoring laps with the best of them. He's going to be fun to watch!
Old 02-05-2002, 11:03 AM   #40
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Something tells me if Katoh looks too good, Honda may slow him down just like they did Barros and Okada (techs in the pit) when they were ahead of Rossi and Edwards during the 2001 Suzuka 8 hours. Politics will keep the RC211 ahead of the NSR