Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 01-30-2002, 11:34 AM   #1
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

Default Re: How many cylinders is too many?

You know...from reading this...I'd say they're the most afraid of Honda...it was the only one that merited a "witty barb"
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2002, 01:36 PM   #2
RonXX
Founding Member

Yeah, it seems that the five cylinder appeals to Ducati, but they can't use one now that Honda beat them to the punch.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 03:53 PM   #3
Grappelli
Registered Member

Or that they're desperate to be different because they have trouble competeing on equal terms...
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 04:53 PM   #4
evilgenius
Founding Member

They're gonna go 2 with pneumatic valves. That's my two cents...
evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 11:51 PM   #5
xlr8r
Founding Member

I'm with you on the pneumatic valves, but I think they'll need to reduce the piston size to get the high revs that make pneumatic valves worth the trouble. Smaller pistons mean more cylinders, so my nickel (note I'm raising the bets here) goes on a V4...
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 12:25 AM   #6
torkmonster
Founding Member

How about a V-3? Pneumatic valves would be cool but you know they want to do it with their Desmodromic. Whatever it is I want one.
torkmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 12:52 AM   #7
Haru
Founding Member

I love inline 6 (not V-6) engines and inspite of the fact that they are very long, I can't stop craving for a motorcycle with one. I keep poring over pictures of the Benellie Sei, the Honda CBX, and the Kawasaki Z1300. Maybe I should really look into buying a Z1300 or a CBX. I found a Benelli 900 Sei that was sitting in a museum in New Zealand with less than 100 miles on it. The museum was liquidating and they wanted US$15k for it. I didn't have the money then. Oh woe is me.....

Anyway, Ducati will never go with a straight six simple because it would be an aerodynamic disaster. They could do a V6 but I am pretty sure they won't. A V-8 ducati would be really cool, and so would a V-10. If they go racing with a V8 or a V10 and make a street version, I'm buying. Overall though, an 8 is much more likely than a 10. a 5 cyl wide engine is narrower than a straight 6 but its still pretty wide.

But back to my inline six fantasies, I start to think that while this sort of engine is not the optimal choice for lap times and aerodynamics and thus not suited to hard core sportbikes, on a naked bike ( like the ZRX or the FZ1), where there is space for considerations of character and alternative thinking, methinks a large capacity inline 6 would make for a very charismatic motorcycle.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 02:04 AM   #8
stormcloud
Founding Member

I'm with you on the pneumatic valves - I think a twin with desmodronics, designed without roadgoing comprimises - could be very competitive, but I'd bank on a triple at the same weight being even better - did anyone say Aprilia???
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 02:39 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Had a CBX in 79 it was fast and sounded like a jet engine at full throttle. It had the charisma and character you would expect. Good choice for an inline six.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:17 AM   #10
sarnali
Founding Member

I'd put my money on a V4, two 998's with a common crankcase would be pretty cool, plus they have a lot of the engineering and tooling developed already so there'd be at least a semblence of cost control.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote