Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 04-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #81
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Wrong

It could be that it's optional (chosen by the Instructor): My Wife took the BRC about a year-and-a-half ago - they didn't use the board.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #82
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

It's a Frear of Natuke........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #83
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

OOOOhhh, stick around he gets way better than this....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #84
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: When to Use Rear Brake Only?

Oh, good grief. Not this old chestnut again. Sorry to come late to the party, guys, and I'm only bothering to write because Naco Traficante has been kind to some of my previous posts, but let's get this right, shall we? When brakes are applied, the weight of the bike transfers forward through inertial forces, loading the front, which is why you need a bigger brake at the front and why you need to use it. Period. Now, those of you who learned to ride a dirtbike before you sat on a streetbike, already learned the hard way that the traction between the front tire and a loose surface such as gravel is easily broken, especially if you overbrake through panic and inexperience; therefore, you learned that to stop a dirtbike, rear braking only was best, because if it locked up the wheel you could tailslide it, which was reasonably controllable, whereas losing the front end was not. Similarly, those of you who learned to ride your brother's Sportster in the days when only the major highways were paved learned that street tires weren't too smart in the dirt either, and once again the rear-wheel-only braking stunt kept you the right side up. This led to the total myth about never using the front brake, which came in with the Honda CB750 in the late '60s, the first bike with a disk front brake as standard. The stopping power surprised more than a few. But nowadays, almost everywhere is paved, tires are a whole lot stickier, bikes are more than twice as fast as they used to be, and brakes are incredible: but the laws of physics are the same, which means that the front brake does most of the work - though not all. And sorry, Cherry-picker, but the engine braking on your BMW doesn't actually help: what happens is that the pinion of the shaft drive tries to climb up the crownwheel, making the bike 'sit' and unloading the front just when you need maximum traction from the tire. You need to slow the momentum of the shaft, and you need to extend the suspension slightly on braking, both of which you can do by using the back brake. Lightly (lightly, mind you) applying the back brake on its own as you go through a fast curve under power will also stop older boxers from doing that hinge-in-the-middle thing that they do, and let you keep a tighter line, again by extending the suspension and countering the pinion's errant tendencies. Try it, you'll soon see. And use both brakes for emergency stops, no matter what: even if the back brake only adds ten percent, it's ten percent you could do with at that precise moment.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:16 AM   #85
testcase
Founding Member

Crap! it says I owe em ten bucks!

--------------------------------------------------
The Wheelnerds Podcast - http://www.wheelnerds.com
testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #86
testcase
Founding Member

I can vouch for it being in it last year in utah.

--------------------------------------------------
The Wheelnerds Podcast - http://www.wheelnerds.com
testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:18 AM   #87
manalagi001
Registered Member

It takes a long time and a lot of experience to figure out brakes. For any simple rule you make, it can be broken. The best thing is to experiement so that you learn. I recommend using front-brake-only technique for three months and see what you learn, then try adding in a little back brake.

Rear brake only is very useful at parking lot speeds. Lane splitting is another situation where the chassis-settling effect of using more rear brake can call for more rear brake than usual. A touch—just a touch—of rear brake in cornering can help settle the chassis.

But otherwise, it's all front brake all the time. The harder you need to stop, the more your weight will pitch forward and the less effective the rear brake becomes. At the extreme, if you're super hard on the front brakes, the rear wheel actually comes off the ground, making it totally ineffective. Just shy of this extreme, however, you're braking hard, and the rear is light, making it likely that any rear brake will lock the rear wheel and cause it to slide. When the rear wheel is sliding, it tends to jack-knife and come around. For this reason, I recommend learning to use front brake only, especially for the hardest braking imaginable, and only when you've wired this fully, go back and re-introduce a touch of back brake for chassis-settling maneuvers.

Sticking to a formula like 75% front to 25% back (which was an old formula I was taught a long time ago) can get you into trouble, as I learned during emergency braking situations where the rear wheel would lock and slide. I ride dirt and can handle a supermoto-esque slide, but it's not the fastest way to slow to a complete stop.

The old formulas were really good for kids like me who grew up on coaster-brake bikes or BMX bikes with only a rear caliper. We definitely needed some sort of rule to get it into our heads that we needed to use the front brake, and use it much more than the back. But I would revise that rule to now say use 98% front, 2% rear, except at parking lot speeds.

Thank you and have a good night.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:18 AM   #88
manalagi001
Registered Member

+99
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:21 AM   #89
boru4761
Registered Member

Payment received.

You are hereby advised that you may officially carry on with your use of the term.

boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #90
boru4761
Registered Member

P.S. The use of Brotherhood copyrighted phrases in no way affiliates you with said Brotherhood. So, feel free to use away without fear of retribution from Harleyguardians.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote