Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 04-18-2007, 11:00 PM   #21
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL
Default Re: When to Use Rear Brake Only?

I was going to submit my very detailed, specific advice on the topic of braking, and the various scientific theories and physics lessons involved...and then I remembered that my bike's battery has died from so little use. Twice. TWICE!!!

Oh wait....
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #22
Brent_Meeker
Founding Member

The only times I use just the rear brake are when I want to brake-slide the rear around a little (mostly a dirtbike move) or a parking lot speed. The reason I use just the rear at parking lot speed is that at low speed you use a lot of steering lock. If you use the front brake when the front wheel is turned it cause the bike to fall the direction the wheel is turned, whereas the rear brake doesn't affect the balance.
Brent_Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:57 PM   #23
fazerdude
Registered Member

I go rear brake only when the traction is almost gone, such as when it has just started raining, before all the oil has been washed off the road or if I'm on wet grass. When it's wet or I'm on a substandard road, such as old dry asphalt, the kind that has gone light grey, I'll apply the rear brake to lockup to get a feel for the traction that is there, and then use front accordingly.

I had a Suzuki GN 250 with a dual leading edge drum brake that, in the above situations, would put you on your a$$ if you hit the front brake, on the first application. The first time you hit it, it would always give enough braking force, no matter how lightly you applied it, to fully drop the fork, for an instant. I was quite happy when my next bike had a hydraulic front disk.
1986 Fazer
fazerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:59 PM   #24
Aero_Doc
Registered Member

Here is a website I used to keep learning to ride better.. Scroll down to articles 29 & 30.

http://www.msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp
Old 04-19-2007, 02:16 AM   #25
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Works great to bring those out-of-control-up-and-over wheelies crashing down to earth. Holds the bike at stop lights on hills. Helps pass the MSF course test. Great for flat-spotting your rear tire. The best for low siding while leaned over. Can help stabilize your machine (less front fork dive) when using your front brake to the max. Gentle use can help tighten your arc when leaned over. A great aid in making tight U-turns--linked brakes can make this one REAL exciting (these two actually require considerable skill and finesse, the others are pretty much no-brainers). A great way to learn how to be Ben, Aaron, Nicky, Anthony Gobert or a MSF test flunky, depending on your skill level. An instant cure for those that can't figure how to dump their girlfriend. ABS ruins all the potential drama. No ABS and too much pressure is an instant reminder you forgot to wear diapers (they love to take 'em off adults in the ER). Really good for inexperienced riders who had to "lay it down" only to have it slide to a halt before it came to the object in question. The manufacturer's best friend--lots of profit in the those wiped out fairings, cases, turn signals, footpegs, ad nauseum. Perhaps the best teacher in the world for an instant lesson in wearing proper road gear. Pretty damned versatile for one little pedal donchathink??
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:27 AM   #26
pplassm
Founding Member

As pointed out above, rear brake use adds precision and control at low speeds and may be essential in marginal traction environments. If you ride a dirt bike, you use it a lot more.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:42 AM   #27
Gritboy
Founding Member

I use my rear only when I want to do a powerslide into oncoming children... moves 'em out of the way like a good hockey shot. *smirk*

Seriously though... at low parking lot and uturn speeds and on bad gravel... otherwise it's front or both.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:46 AM   #28
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Re: Wrong

The only time you can use your rear brake safely is to kick the rear end out and set up a slide in preperation to layin' 'er down to avoid hitting something. Do they teach that at MSF? probably the "advanced rider" section.....

The exception to not using the rear brake would be if you foolishly installed a spool hub on your bike because they look cool and figured your crappy 30 year old rivited shoe drum brakes would be enough. Or if the front pads are down to metal and you can't afford new ones just yet, using the rear only will prevent tearing up the front disc's

Oh I forgot, pulling up to a stop in the rain and noticing the giant oil slick the car in front of you just left, rear brake only and try not to put your feet down in it...

That's about all I can think of, also if you go into a corner too hot and want to slow down without standing the bike up you can trail the rear brake lightly, that usually works without throwing you off your line too badly

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:47 AM   #29
boru4761
Registered Member

Default Re: Wrong

I believe the '/sarcasm', also known as the sarcasm off tag is now copyrighted by the Harley Hating Brotherhood, Inc. Where is my royalty check?
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:54 AM   #30
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

When I had the Dyna IE; long and low with a rear weight bias I used the rear brake quite a bit more than usual. With a sport bike or standard the weight bias is more neutral so the rear is best at low speed on slick roads or in conjuction with the front for normal stopping

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote