Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 04-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #11
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Wrong

I give you are right (kpaul rolls eyes)...Go do an experiment in a parking lot. Try both techniques..

ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #12
ewok1
Founding Member

Default Re: When to Use Rear Brake Only?

In loose relatively deep gravel, getting on the front has always met with less than ideal results for me. the back alone is better in that bad situation in my experience. the back brake can be used to stabilize the bike a tad starting a wheelie. and i use it on hills at stop lights. otherwise i could do without a rear brake. i've never ridden or owned a cruiser but it seems to me with so much more weight on the rear, the rear brake might be more effective. but i don't know and i have no current plans to find out, unless a goldwing qualifies as a cruiser.

oh and if your fronts don't work because your pads dropped out because when you changed the pads you forgot to put the retainer in like an idiot, or if a tankslapper backs the pads into the caliper and your so freaked you forget to pump them back up, the back brake might keep you from dying. or at least give you something to stand on while you're having a bad time of it.

ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:31 PM   #13
mbsween
Registered Member

Default Re: kpaul crack pot braking theories.

Kpaul,

Code and company will tell you to lay off the rear brake, in track situations. the reasons being

you don't have nearly as much feel with your foot as your hand

you have a minimum of 80% of the stopping power in the front brake

you probably want to transfer more weight to the front for cornerning

If you're stopping hard the rear tire will have little to no weight on it, locking it up becomes easy, unlocking without crashing is difficult

All that being said, in most street situations both brakes are fine. Cruisers (re long bikes with lots of rake) don't change weight bias as much during braking so the rear brake is more useful there also.But again, you have roughly 80% of your brakes in the front, I'd use those first.

The only time I favor the rear brake is when its raining and I'm crossing painted lines or some other slippery goo.

As to leaning off, it allows higher corner speed with less lean angle meaning more traction for accelerating/braking. I'd agree that modern suspension and tires take a lot of it out of the game, but those MotoGP boys tend to hang off, and they're the fastest out there.

mbsween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #14
svtech
Registered Member

Dang it Hawk, there you go. Not reading between the lines again.

How could you have missed the part about the dynamic instability of sub-sonic ash trays and the subsequent relevant application for the interpretations of COG moments of force in at least one hypothetical conveyence?

Publish or perish: the kook philosophy that M O engenders.

Nothing to do with facts or knowledge.
svtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:40 PM   #15
ksquid
Banned

Thanks Great Response. Makes sense. Like I said I probably need to go to a track school because I am developing some bad habits. Thanks again
Old 04-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #16
ksquid
Banned

LOL good one. Yep I thought I had a live one till kchicken told me to reread the first sentence. Oh will I think I all the fish have been fished out of the barrel.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:57 PM   #17
sanfrdnsun
Registered Member

like your grammar skills...

"After that I started watching him after that."

kmoron
sanfrdnsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #18
schizuki
Founding Member

"Yep I thought I had a live one"

That makes you about 0-for-30 on "gotchas."

"Oh will I think I all the fish have been fished out of the barrel."

kpaul dodge #6. And it's hilarious when you read it out loud word-by-word.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #19
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

"This is a motorcycle site dude.. We are talking about motorcycles you know they have 2 wheels, ..."

ksushi, the above quote was posted on a previous thread and I wanted to bring it to your attention. I noticed you referenced 'cars' above and didn't want you to come under attack from the person who thinks we should not ever talk about anything but 2-wheeled vehicles here. Just an FYI. You are welcome.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #20
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: When to Use Rear Brake Only?

This thread's going to be a hoot when Buz, seru and longride wake up. Even better if Sean makes an appearance.

Who wants popcorn?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote