Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Crusty MO (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/crusty-mo/)
-   -   When to Use Rear Brake Only? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/crusty-mo/4441-when-use-rear-brake-only.html)

ksquid 04-19-2007 01:49 PM

kcoder

We used to use the CS department to get easy grades . In fact most of the time us EEs would always be at the top of the class...

ksquid 04-19-2007 01:50 PM

Re: Wrong

ksteamer... are you kbasher now.

Flickmeister 04-19-2007 01:56 PM

Re: When to Use Rear Brake Only?

The biggest problem with a bike that can do a stoppie easily is that almost 100% of the time, the frame rotates either to the left or right around the steering stem necessitating you put the rear wheel back on the ground to get the rear wheel in line with the front. This is where a light touch on the rear brake can stabilize your chassis and avoid lifting the rear wheel off the ground. In a perfect braking world, you would smoothly and progressively apply the front brake as the bike transfers more weight to the front. At the same time, you would apply the rear brake and ease up on it progressively as it lightens from the transfer of weight to the front. The fact is even legends like Eddie Lawson and Kevin Schwantz have stated this is almost impossible to do effectively. The brain can't handle modulating the front and rear brakes to maximum efficiency at the same time. Kevin teaches in his school not to use the rear brake and to my knowledge, Eddie didn't use it either. They stress using the front brake to the max since, in a sportbike, 90-100% of the braking force transfers to the front. There are several world class riders that advocate using the rear brake and it certainly can be useful if the rider has the proper training to manage it. For the most part, I prefer the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) theory and use only the front brake 90-odd % of the time. And you could be in lots worse company than Eddie & Kevin.

ksquid 04-19-2007 01:56 PM

What the experts at SportRider say

" On the street, you should use both front and rear brakes for maximum effect, "

Read more you MOrons

[b][i]

kpaul

sez

Checkmate! Another one for the GMP

ksquid 04-19-2007 01:57 PM

Check mate

ksquid 04-19-2007 01:59 PM

Re: Wrong too

Yep someone has to lead you MOrons to the truth. kpaul is right again..

The_AirHawk 04-19-2007 02:09 PM

Re: Ok. Good tip.

The_AirHawk 04-19-2007 02:11 PM

Re: Wrong too

I submit to all of you, that this is not a real human - it is Socko the Wonder-Stocking.

There is no way in Hell that a human-being is that irrational.

ksquid 04-19-2007 02:14 PM

More braking tips

The use of both brakes together will invariably slow you down more quickly than using just one of them.

[*] The use of both brakes together results in LESS weight transfer than does using just the front one. (Assuming equal total braking force applied.)

[*]Use of both brakes tends to lengthen the life of your front brakes.

[*]If you need to stop or slow down on slick or gravel surfaces, the rear brake is just the ticket (in combination with a very gentle hand on the front one.)

[*]If you are going less than 20 MPH then both brakes are effective (and relatively safe.)

[*]In very slow maneuvers, the use of the rear brake alone often provides added stability and control of your motorcycle[b]

.Read more ...

eekadog 04-19-2007 02:14 PM

Re: Farewell MO!

If MO! gets the superbike comparo out the door before a different website I will reconsider...