Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Crusty MO (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/crusty-mo/)
-   -   Another Crash Statistic Study - Bad News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/crusty-mo/4331-another-crash-statistic-study-bad-news.html)

BrowningBAR 03-04-2007 11:14 AM

Re: Another Crash Statistic Study - Bad News

And if you don't ride a motorcycle at all, how much more likely are you to survive a motorcycle crash?

BrowningBAR 03-04-2007 11:37 AM

" the number of motorcyclists 45 and older killed in crashes nearly quadrupled from 2001 to 2005"

--I've got money riding on the fact that this segment has also quadrupled since 2001.

"Crashes among this age group increased more than 60 percent during that time, compared with a 6 percent drop in the number of crashes for younger motorcycle riders."

--Really? So the largest growning segment of bike buyers also has the largest growing crash rate? Shocking.

"The aging of the motorcycling population in Michigan may be contributing to the increase in motorcycle fatalities,"

--Or there are FAR, FAR more new riders that can afford bikes than that of the 18-25 year old segment.

""As people age, their bodies become more fragile and their chances of dying as a result of a crash increase. This may well explain the increase in overall motorcycle fatalities that occurred in Michigan in 2005—a 54 percent increase from the year before.""

--Wait, "This may well explain the increase"??? That isn't research or statistics, but half-assed guess work.

"In their study of motorcycle crash trends in Michigan since 2001, Kostyniuk and colleague Adam Nation found that the number of motorcycle crashes overall increased 9 percent, while motorcycle registrations have risen 33 percent (to more than 250,000) and licensed motorcyclists have increased 9 percent (to nearly 500,000)."

--Well, look at that, I'm right. a 33% increase in participants and only a 9% increase in crashes. Doesn't sound exactly earth shattering, now does it.

"According to the study, about half of all motorcycle crashes, for both younger and older riders, involve other vehicles—whose drivers are more likely to be at fault."

--So of the 9% increase, 60% was the fault of other drivers? So the increase is even less than stated.

"Overall, the UMTRI study found that motorcycles were involved in about 12 percent of all fatal vehicle crashes in 2005—a 32 percent increase since 2001.

--so the segment grows by 33% and fatal crashes increase by 32%. Seems right. How much did this "in-depth" study cost?

BrowningBAR 03-04-2007 11:42 AM

And now for the biggest statistic of the entire article:

"[Of motorcyclist wearing helmets] about 3 percent of these riders were killed, 20 percent sustained severe injuries, 54 percent suffered minor injuries and 23 percent were not injured at all. Among helmet-less bikers who crashed, 5 percent were killed, 30 percent were severely injured, 53 percent had other injuries and 12 percent were not hurt.

--So folks, you have a 2% better chance at survival if you wear a helmet and only a 10% difference in severe injuries. This should easily be enough to spend millions on laws and enforcement. Please god! Have the government step in and protect myself from making decisions!

And yes, I wear a helmet all you b!tching little government legislation *****s!

schizuki 03-04-2007 11:46 AM

"One statistic that can be gleaned is that your chances of surviving a crash are 97% if you wear a helmet and 95% if you don't. So by extrapolation your chances of getting killed if you don't wear a helmet increase by 66%."

This is an excellent example of why no one should trust out-of-context statistics.

BrowningBAR 03-04-2007 11:58 AM

Yeah, I was trying to figure out where he got that stat from, because it definitely is not supported in the article.

The "study" was dumb enough; it doesn't need to be intensified with additional wrong conclusions.

Gritboy 03-04-2007 12:28 PM

As long as you die with your boots on it's all been worth it. ;-)

FalcoSC 03-04-2007 12:39 PM

It's not out of context. If 3 percent of people wearing helmets were killed and 5 percent of people not wearing were killed, then 5 is 66% more than 3.

longride 03-04-2007 12:41 PM

Dude, 5% is NOT 66% more than 3%. I think somebody needs math help.

Hersh1693 03-04-2007 12:51 PM

Us old farts gotta go some time. Rather be ridin my bike than a rocking chair!

BrowningBAR 03-04-2007 12:56 PM

Yes, 5 is 66% more than 3. but 5% is not 66% more than three percent. It is an increase of 66%, but your chances of getting killed if you don't wear a helmet does not increase by 66%. It is still 2%.