Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 03-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #21
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: Another Crash Statistic Study - Bad News

And, to clarify further, a difference in probability of 2% equals a difference in probabilty of 2%.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #22
Fenton
Founding Member

10% of riders will crash and there is only a 20% chance of that happening. I'm sorry what data tweaking are you talking about?
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:28 PM   #23
SquireJim
Founding Member

You stated that ,"One statistic that can be gleaned is that your chances of surviving a crash are 97% if you wear a helmet and 95% if you don't." The article did not say that...What it DID say was, "The researchers say that about 97 percent of motorcyclists involved in crashes since 2001 wore a helmet...Among helmetless bikers who crashed, 5 percent were killed"...So actually, 95% of the 3% who weren't wearing a helmet died, and 3% of the 97% of riders who WORE a helmet were killed...If you actually extrapolated these numbers, your chances of survival in this study would have been over 99% if you wore a helmet, and small enough if you didn't wear a helmet to conclude that those who don't wear helmets a) have death wishes, b) want to ride free and die free, or c) are morons.
SquireJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:38 PM   #24
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

No, it's 66%!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

Nordberg has a 50/50 chance of living. However there is only a 20% chance of that.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #26
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

This whole thread turned into one big Yogi Berra quote.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:46 PM   #27
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Mrs. Nordberg: Oh, my poor Nordberg! He was such a good man, Frank. He never wanted to hurt anyone. Who would do such a thing?

Frank: It's hard to tell. A gang of thugs, a blackmailer, an angry husband, a gay lover...
Old 03-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #28
cota
Registered Member

Last paragraph: "... And, in motorcycle crashes involving other vehicles in which either the rider or vehicle driver had been drinking, the biker was under the influence of alcohol 70 percent of the time."

This is something I've noted as an issue where I live, mostly because all the watering holes draw the police looking for "gentlemen" on cruisers flexing their Miller High Life on the way home.

cota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #29
dylanmo
Founding Member

Of those involved in crashes 97% wore a helmet. so, 97% are broken down further into column 1, the rest are in column 2. It looks like it removes my spaces so the columns look like shiat.

patient condition /Helmet /No Helmet

dead /3% /5%

f'd up bad /20% /30%

walking it off /54% /53%

keep racing /23% /12%
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #30
ksquid
Banned

Default Good Grief Charlie Brown

falcosc are you the ex-MO intern from Seattle. Surely not, when I read the article I thought the main subject was the increase in accidents among the GPTB. [b][i]"[*]the number of motorcyclists 45 and older killed in crashes nearly quadrupled from 2001 to 2005 (the last year for which data is available).[*]Crashes among this age group increased more than 60 percent during that time, compared with a 6 percent drop in the number of crashes for younger motorcycle riders.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote