Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 07-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
egb
Registered Member

Default Re: New Motocross Rag to Debut

Sounds like a great read. 26 issues a year will be a challenge...hope they make it.
egb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2006, 05:25 AM   #2
sarnali
Founding Member

Yeah, good luck too them. 26 glossy color and comprehensive issues is going to be difficult to crank out I expect.

When Dirt Bike spun off Motocross Action back in the 70's I thought I'd died and went to heaven. Having my dad send them to me while I was at sea was a real treat, I used to read them cover to cover and every once in a while I'd get an issue of Cycle or Cycle Guide...pure bliss LOL
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:41 AM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

...yeah and I'd come down from the 01 level and steal 'em while you were asleep...

I still have stacks and stacks of DB & MXA from the 70's. Some of the best stuff if you ask me. In fact this morning whilst sitting on the throne I re-read an MXA Carabela test from 1974. To make a long story short the handlebars were held on with u bolts and the crank broke in half. Ah, what machines.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

You poor bird farm b@st@rds. What's it like to always hit the beach with 2,000 other dypsomaniacs with money to burn?
Old 07-07-2006, 06:30 AM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

It's going to be tough in this age of electronic media. The benchmark for any dirt bike related print magazine is of course the Dirt Bike of old, pre-1975 and again around 1987, when Rick Sieman was in charge.

The only other motorcycle related magazine that even came close to DB/MXA in writing content was Motorcyclist when JB was on the masthead.

The latest DB and MXA is all about bolt this on, get this pipe, buy these orange boots if you want to look/be cool. And then you have the indecipherable rantings of Jody Weasel in MXA...don't get me started...

Good luck, and stock up on the cardboard boxes for all the old magazines.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:34 AM   #6
sarnali
Founding Member

I prefer Classic Bike for my daily ablusions but I'd love to go through some MXA's. Do you have the one from '73 when Jimmy Pomeroy won the Spanish GP ?

Ya' know the one I always liked was the Penton, specially the 250 Hare Scrambler with the KTM engine. My dad was a big Enduro and ISDT fan and he always wanted a 175 Jackpiner but he shifted over to Motocross after I started racing an ran CZ instead.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:36 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Just make sure your hair isn't touching an ear, and you pants cuffs aren't hitting the deck, and you're good to go.

And when getting back on board after a night of partying with pockets full of red leb, moon-walk through a hatch on the fantail (port side) and escape the wrath of the MAA's and NJP.

See ya by the escalator...
Old 07-07-2006, 06:46 AM   #8
sarnali
Founding Member

Jody's still around? Good God he must be as old as us...er, you anyway.....

I like Rider and I've got a gift sub. to Cycle Whirled but the only one I spend my own money on is Classic Bike for my Euro-bike fix or The Horse/Back Street Choppers which is all old skool home built Bobbers and Chops. The rest of them I flip through at Fred Meyers and look at the picture's
Old 07-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yep, got that one. The classic pictute of him on a Bultaco holding the US flag. That issue was instrumental in my purchase of a JPR 360 in 1976 btw. When they started shifting on the left. Bultaco was a very good product right before the factory burned down, and Senior Bulto ate it.

The Hare Scrambler...with Girlings. The ISDT was big back then, I even bought a Jawa because of the whole mystique.

Check out next month's off-road.com and you'll see a pic of my '75 CZ250.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:54 AM   #10
johnnyb
Founding Member

O Ms Cuddy I'll give you quite some time to cut that out, o i'm blushiiing... Personally I have no idea why anybody thinks the world needs another dirt bike mag, I wade thru dirt bike, dirt rider, racer x, transworld moto-x and about 5 more here at work... (i actually like ron lawson at dirt bike best, bec. it is more off-road and less mx).

Have to guess the moneylenders are behind it. All those mags are PACKED with big advertisements. Anywho, good luck to Rousseau and crew, that sounds like a big chunk to bite off.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote