Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 08-30-2005, 09:22 AM   #21
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: WHAT IS DEALER-O?

LA Cyclesports/Yamaha seems to offer pretty good OTD prices. I almost made the trip down from the SF Bay to buy my CBR600F4i there.

http://www.otdcyclesports.com/

-- Michael
sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2005, 10:20 AM   #22
johnnyb
Founding Member

wow anybody dealt with them? i just got instant online quote for 3099 which INCLUDES tax. zero freight, setup etc. Sounds 2 good 2 b true... are they in nigeria and recently inherited a rather large sum of money from an uncle who was a high-ranking official in the energy ministry?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:54 AM   #23
sanfrdnsun
Registered Member

Do these people that put bikes together have to be licensed? I worked at the local suzuki dealer here when i was in high school. I was originally hired to basically be a part time gopher. Clean the shop, take out the trash, mop, run errands, etc. Then one day they said, ok youre gonna start putting motorcycles together. With no training and no supervision they threw me into the warehouse with a forklift and a few tools to put together ATV's, dirt bikes, gixxers and even busa's. I did this for a few weeks until I quit. I hate to say this, but God help those who are riding around the busa's I put together.
sanfrdnsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:01 AM   #24
ronald6
Founding Member

Is the MSRP the real "starting" point, anyway for price. On cars you can find out the dealer cost (see consumer reports, etc), and negotiate up from there. Why not with motorcycles. Is there a typical "mark-up" from deals actual cost?
ronald6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:35 PM   #25
Fenton
Founding Member

I'm sure you can sweet talk them into adding the $1000 buck on as a rhetoric charge.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:57 PM   #26
sqidbait
Founding Member

I almost bought from them, but I found a local dealer who was only a couple hundred more so I bought local and saved a drive to LA. ( They advertised 04 F4is for 7699 OTD, my local dealer said 7899 OTD. )

As to whether these guys are legit or not: I've been watching their ads for years. They used to advertise in the SF Bay cycle trader heavily, but I imagine they got their hands slapped for posting really good OTD prices outside of their "sales area". They've been doing this OTD web quote thingy for a couple of years now.

If you are paranoid, just confirm the quote and show up at their shop with a cashiers check and pay when you take possession of the bike. My understanding is that they have a large store - I believe that they are the top volume Honda dealer in CA.

Suzuki also lists them as a dealer on their website: ( The first entry )

http://www.suzukicycles.com/DealerLo...2/Default.aspx

-- Michael

Old 08-30-2005, 03:31 PM   #27
sv1000rider
Founding Member

I would like to know this info too and have asked this question in a previous story about a guy that bought a Triumph Daytona for a ridiculously low price. Nobody replied. I bet this info. is guarded by dealers better than our military guards nuclear missile launch codes.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:41 PM   #28
sqidbait
Founding Member

These guys supposedly sell dealer cost info. I haven't used them, but they have been around for a while.

http://www.cyclecost.com/index.htm

http://www.cyclecost.com/sample_mc.htm

-- Michael

Old 08-30-2005, 03:53 PM   #29
HRCUSA
Registered Member

Hello, Dealer here!

Freight and Prep. charges are real despite what you read from a lot of these people. Now of course a dealer can forgo those charges (which is up to them basically) and absorb them into their retail if they desire and of course if there is enough profit margin in the unit to do so.

What has happened though, is the bad dealers have found out it was a sneaky way to increase there profit margins by increasing these fee's. You know, advertise a nice really low teaser price to get you in, but then when you see the total price it's $1000 higher than you expect! Yikes. Real Freight charges cost on average of $60-$100 for a unit of this size (they come two in a crate by the way, so you can't have the whole crate unless your buying two!). Real Prep.(handling, set-up, ect) charges depending on who the dealer has paid to put it together (a service, service asst, or actual full line mechanic) can cost a sales dept. from $40-$80.

A lot of us more aggressive larger volume dealers have opted to make it easy for the consumer by not charging any of these fees. Only adding tax, license, and doc. fees usually amounting to 10%. So a $3099 RM85 would be about another $310 with tax, license, and doc. So expect a total to be $3409.00. [Just averaging here]

Those street bike buyers are unaware of the popularity and sell out statis of the 2005 RM85's that you are referring too. It's not like the leftover statis of let's say a CBR600RR in which we now are heavily discounting at the end of summer. We have only just received our first 2006 RM models and do have several deposits waiting for them already. Good news is we get a lot (like a few other large volume dealers) and never charge any of those extra fees on any of our bikes for sale. We are the minority though. I'm sure if you search hard enough in your area you can find someone like us.

If a dealer does not disclose that the price of his bike in a ad still requires extra freight, prep., or handling fee's, YES, this is against the DMV laws in CA. DMV laws require that the ad is the total price for sale or if it isn't, then the breakdown of the extra fees must be shown in the ad. Don't know about other states laws. If CA, you can get him in big trouble with the DMV police!

Bye the way, it is true a dealer is NOT allowed to sell any motorcycle, atv, watercraft still in the crate to any consumers. It is against there dealer agreements to the manufacturers. This also protects the dealer and manufacturers from Sue happy litigators. If someone was to open the crate themselves, assemble it, prep. it, then let's say it blows up! They could easily sue the dealer and manufacturer for millions and easily win since it wasn't factory trained mechanics prepped. Silly I know, for those Pro-riders who could easily disassemble and reassemble better than before with all the proper greasing and bolt checks, but there is a lot of people out there who THINK they are that rider and there NOT.

Hope all this info helps, believe me, there are a few of us GOOD dealers left out there! Don't lump us all in the same catagory. Still isn't as bad as those HarleyDavidson dealers getting thousands of dollars over MSRP or the car dealers with all of there add on charges and surprises when you sit down with the finance guy/gal! Good luck.
HRCUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:02 PM   #30
HRCUSA
Registered Member

Oh Dealer here again. Saw the note regarding LA Cycle Sports. YES, they have great prices. They also put there bikes together with guys like that kid who wrote in saying he was the lot boy with no experience and he was putting together bikes all of the sudden for the dealer with no training. He even said he worries about those guys who purchased Hayabusa's from that dealer in which he put the bike together! A $8.00 per hr kid allows dealers like LA to save BIG on assembly cost. It also cost them big in after the sale in Service ratings. Dealers like us (Suzuki Super Service winners 7 years running!, not tooting my own horn here-I'm still not putting our dealers name down though to forgo the advertising) will only use our full line $75 per hr mechanics to prep. our bikes! AND we still have low prices and no bull. Just one extra thing I thought I should mention. Ciao.

HRCUSA is offline   Reply With Quote