Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 07-21-2005, 09:48 AM   #1
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Default Re: Latest ''flow through'' street jackets

Finally First Post Sukas. I been trying for 2 yrs. Anyway I have a teknik (however you spell it) mesh with CE armor that I can ride across the mojave desert in 115 degree heat and not drop dead. It works pretty well and it seems tough enough to survive a crash, though I am sure it would be totally ripped up and good for nothing afterwards. The neoprene collar and snap sleeves are a nice touch
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I have a Vanson Cobra Mk2 vented leather jacket. It works great in the heat with the interior zip down panels, and looks great. I also got the armor to go with it. Bought it 3 years ago and thought the price was high, and then I looked at what it costs now. Yikes!Vanson has the best quality leathers I have ever worn. Good investment if you are going to ride many years.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
wolfpack_fan
Registered Member

I own the Mark 2 Challenger--got it on Ebay (brand new with tags) for less than 1/2 price. I actually use this as my winter jacket. The venting is not sufficient for NC summers and is a little difficult to use (the folding flap is not the greatest design). It's an excellent choice when commuting to work at 40 degrees and returning home in 80 degrees--works great in the NC winter/spring.

During summer I swear by Vanson's Mark 2 CSRV, which is fully perforated leather. Vanson's stuff is expensive, but made to last. I think it's money well spent, especially if you can find a deal.
wolfpack_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
bikervince
Founding Member

I also have the Challenger. I also got it for about half price ($300) at an end-of-season clearance. It's a great jacket, extremely well-made and good looking. Having the zip-down front panels really makes it more comfortable in warm weather, up to about 80 degrees before it becomes too hot. And of course if you're not moving, it gets hot very quickly.[b] For the real warm stuff I have a PowerTrip San Jose jacket (about $120). It is a nylon mesh jacket with back,elbow and shoulder armour and a zip-out vest lining. It works very well on the hot summer days here in New England (both of them!) While you are moving, the air flows right through it as if you aren't wearing it. Of course you do notice it as soon as you stop, but they're all like that. And, being nylon, it is a probably a one-crash item, just like your helmet. Have a crash with it, then throw it away and get another.

BikerVince
bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
bikervince
Founding Member

Didn't know "[b]" was for [b]BOLD[b]. Sorry 'bout that. That oughta teach me to use the "Preview" button next time.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:12 AM   #6
bikervince
Founding Member

OK, I give up. Nuthin' but plain text for me from here on out. I promise.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:18 AM   #7
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Challenger = Avenger

I have a Vanson Avenger, which is an older version of the Challenger, before they added the sleeve vents. I had it made to measure about 7 years ago and it still looks good despite about 35,000 miles and one minor wreck. I don't use it as an around town hot weather jacket, the venting isn't nearly as good as a textile mesh jacket and the close fit means my business clothes look like h#ll after my 24 mile commute.

The Avenger is my jacket of choice any time I leave town or go on Sunday morning sports blasts with temps between full August heat and about 45 degrees with the streamliner vest zipped in (the heated handgrips and my VFR's fairing help quite a bit also). For mid-summer roadtrips in central Texas it works great with an evaporative vest underneath. The weakness is the lack of arm vents. This was fixed in the Challenger design. The adjustable vent design really works. Closed at night or early in the morning and open for the afternoons heat.

The biggest selling point at the time I bought this jacket was the ability to have the jacket made to measure to suit my freakish phsyique. Only later did I come to realize that this is one of the best built pieces of equipment I've ever had the pleasure of owning. (it would be insufficient or downright insulting to call this a piece of clothing or apparel. )

Yes, I paid through the nose for the jacket with all the custom work. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have considered going back and getting a fully perfed Vanson for summer wear, such as the Hurricane, but opted not to. The fit is still so close that my business clothes would suffer more than necessary.

I've also crashed in a First Gear textile mesh jacket. I hit the ground lowside at about 35 miles per hour, and suffered no abbrasion to my upper body and only minor bruising. The jacket looked like it had been through a ribbon blender. For less than a quarter the price of my Vanson I got one wreck out of the Firstgear. Had I been going any faster the story might have been significantly more gruesome.

Summary? For play get the Vanson. For commuting stick with the textile mesh. Someone out there makes a jacket with a textile mesh body and combination textile mesh and perfed leather sleeves. That looks like the best bet for normally sized people. It doesn't come in size:freakish that I've seen.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Fenton
Founding Member

I've got a mesh Honda Racing w/CE armor. Comfy, very cool in the summer. I wouldn't use it under 65-70 degrees. It does not give a great deal of confidence due to the fact you can read a news paper through it.(really) But it is better than going leather vest only.

I also have a Road Gear perf leather with a liner. I looked at every leather jacket I could find. This thing is built well and is quite warm with the liner in
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:38 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I just wait until it cools down enough to use my electric vest.

I survived Italy! Damn I'm tired.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:02 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Glad you are back, ya bum!