Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 07-21-2005, 08:04 PM   #31
KLRer
Founding Member

Default Re: Latest ''flow through'' street jackets

should have been "spinal, shoulder and elbow padding"...
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2005, 09:25 PM   #32
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: WHAT?!

Oh, get off it!

I rode an 1150GS Adventure for two years as sole transport. stuffed more than a couple of "Bling Bros." in the Gap with it, too. Not that that's saying much. Return to college forced sale. (How many times have I mentioned that it's now owned by teevee's Alton Brown and will be the featured ride on a new show soon?)

And for the record, it's an "active adults community".

What? Look, man, the nurse-on-call is pretty hot.

WHAT?!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:28 PM   #33
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Or....sell the kids and buy all the Vanson gear you want...and a new bike or three.

Good bikes become classics, and you can always make more kids.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:51 AM   #34
maladg
Registered Member

For hot GA days I use a Rocket Reactor...textile mesh body with perf leather sleeves & shoulders - ok armor.

Works fine up to 90. If it gets over 90 and it is humid, well - I usually go do something else.

If it is just plain ole hot & dry (not a common occurance here down south), ok to say mid 90's.

As the years roll by, my heat tolerance has dropped a bit. You couldn't pay me to go to SoCal, AZ, etc., just right now.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:12 AM   #35
gjbedna
Registered Member

I have a VANSON HURRICANE and a Joe Rocket Alter Ego as warm weather jackets. Like the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for." I got my Vanson at New Enough at a good discount along with soft armor. The armor isn't perforated, so there's some hot spots, but other than that, it's like a track suit on the street.

The Joe Rocket is fine...the Alter Ego is a versatile "cheap" ($250 compared to the Vanson) everyday jacket. It's a lot like the Phoenix when it's in the summer configuration. I bought matching jackets for me & the wife (how cute, we're bike twinkies). But if i'm sliding instead of riding, it's Vanson every time.

Don't forget about the rest of your extremities. It's usually not until you get hurt that you start to think about shielding the rest of your body with real riding pants/boots. I'd rather be sweating than riding in the shorts/t-shirts that a lot of these riders wear. But hey, that's part of our civil liberties--the right to Road Rash!!

My Honda pants are good to around 55-60 degrees with the Kevlar panels. Any colder and the Hein Gericke pants come out. My Sidi Corsa Races have vents on the sides....sucks in the wet, but better than any work boot. With the proper gear (and commensurate outlay of cash), you can be quite safe and comfortable in any weather.

Botton line...there's a lot of good gear out there, buy the highest quality you can afford and make sure it fits right. Armor doesn't do any good when it's not in the right place at the right time!!
gjbedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:24 AM   #36
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: WHAT?!

Did ya start it by using a Clapper?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:28 AM   #37
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Perfect complement

A flow-through jacket would be the perfect accessory to your flow-through head.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:40 AM   #38
bbtowns
Founding Member

I use a Teknic Spider Jacket. It's a great design as it's a normal textile jacket, but the outer shell zips off and leaves a perforated jacket with armor.

I was t-boned in it, and a few rips in the shoulder and arm, but it was repairable. Got a second one on ebay for $38, but a new one is around $250 or so.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:48 AM   #39
Steve781
Founding Member

If you know which track day organizer you are going to patronize, check out their requirements for riding gear. Some around here require either a one piece suit or a two piece with a full circumferential zipper. My avenger only has the 9 inch connecting zip in back. Some of the new Vanson designs have in addition two short connectors in front. Call or email and ask the organizers what passes tech and make sure it is a boss who gives you the opinion. The tech inspector may have a different opinion. Have a printout of the boss' emailed opinion handy.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:24 AM   #40
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Perfect complement

Yes, if you mean creative and intelligent ideas flow through my brain unimpeded by FOX news and Red State biases, then yes you are correct sir.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist )
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote