Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 07-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #21
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Challenger = Avenger

Thanks for all the great info. I was wondering about the Avenger vs. Challenger thing since Seattle Cycle has Avengers on their web site. Which I don't see on the Vanson site.

sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #22
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Latest ''flow through'' street jackets

Yep I guess I want something that looks good, lasts longer that a couple of years, and I can use at a track school. I probably should of added that to my original question. Most track schools want you to wear leather.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:59 AM   #23
kill_van_kull
Registered Member

I have the JR original Phoenix jacket & pants. They work well keeping me cool up to about 85-90 or so. After that, they're f'in hot. With the nylon & soft armor, they're clearly better than just jeans & t-shirt, but the real question is how much? Does anyone have actual crash experience (victim or witness) in them or other flow thrus? I'd hate to go down at extra-legal speeds and find out the hard way that they weren't worth crap.
kill_van_kull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:06 PM   #24
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Challenger = Avenger

Interesting to hear about your crash with the First Gear mesh... I use one of those with upgraded CE armor for my summer jacket, along with the matching pants. I've always figured it was a "one use" garment.

I like it cuz the temperatures can vary so much here, starting inland with 90+ degrees and getting out to the coast it'll be maybe 65, nice to be able to zip the liner in/out so quickly.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:17 PM   #25
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: WHAT?!

i here it is a bmw again. wasnt it R1200GS last year? we r ready for retirement home...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #26
Fenton
Founding Member

Watch the Vanson price, fully loaded, armor & liners you can get up to $900 pretty quick. Then you need the matching pants. Fashion is a *****. Beats assless chaps.

I don't know how tall or round you are. At 6'3" and 200lbs., I was looking at custom in Vanson and Bates.

I said it before, but, take a look at the Road Gear XJK perf. jacket w/liner. Warmer than my roadcrafter with the liner and no problem in 90 degree heat. I liked the jacket so much, I bought the matching pants. The big drawback is the lack of zip together option.

Mansoor, the owner, will send out a couple of sizes for you to choose from. First class guy.

Good luck!

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:02 PM   #27
DaveFla
Founding Member

Dude. C'mon. If you even THINK there's a chance you might go down at "extra-legal" speeds, then fer cryin' out loud, DON'T wear your mesh jacket on the ride. I don't see my Phoenix as being anything but "better than a t-shirt" at in-city commuting speeds.

When I hit the highways, it's either Blaster pants and jacket, or my Roadcrafter with the optional spinal armor and hip pads. I figure it'd be just my luck to have no injuries other than the scraping, and die of infection anyway.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:42 PM   #28
pplassm
Founding Member

I have the Fieldsheer mesh jacket that's mesh with leather reinforcement and hard armor. I have read about some folks crashing with this set-up and they were OK. It was 100 degrees and really humid today in Richmond.

I wore the jacket to go the 30 miles to pick up my new truck. I was stuck in a jam for an accident for about 20 minutes, and it was bearable, but sweaty.

When I got to the accident site, they were literally hosing the road down. Lots of blood. I saw a helmet faceshield lying on the road.

I see a lot of idiots riding around here in tshirts, shorts and flip-flops. Hope is wasn't someone I met.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:09 PM   #29
Hipshot
Registered Member

I picked up a leather jacket maybe 10 years ago from a Boulder, CO motorcycle shop that has been my standby ever since. It has old Craig Vetter's name in it, but I'm sure he sold the right to his name to somebody for manufacturing. It is exceedingly comfortable and flows well, even down here in the swamp. It also has reinforced pieces on the likely touch-down spots after an unintentional dismount.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:01 PM   #30
KLRer
Founding Member

I've got a flow through polyester jacket by a company named "3rd Street". Its got some decent spinal, elbow and elbow padding (I wouldnt call it armor though) and rides very cool up to about 85 degrees. With a wet tshirt underneath its ok on up to the mid nineties, at least. Of course, nothing feels cool in those conditions stopped at a light.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote