Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 04-18-2005, 02:19 AM   #1
mbsween
Registered Member

Default Re: Synthetic oil for older inlines ?

Naco,

I tried synth in my 83 Kz750L. keep in mind that the motor has around 100,000 on it. It worked okay, but I started to get some leakage from the cylinder head and the clutch slipped a bit more than normal.

Other than that it ran fine. I wouldn't see any issues, but if I remember roght the YZF was liquid cooled correct? I'd think cheap old dino oil would work fine
mbsween is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2005, 03:30 AM   #2
paul_from_Minnesota
Registered Member

ONLY use synthetic oil if you have to have an oil that does everything better. It is really that simple. There is no voodoo or hocus pocus going on. It films and flows better and holds up better. It will not make your clutch slip and will not magically leak at every orifice. There is way too much myth surrounding this stuff.

From what I can tell, people with old worn clutches just don't want to admit that maybe thier clutch is bad and instead want to blame something else they don't understand. And if your engine leaks, shouldn,'t you fix it?

I ran Mobil 1 in my '78 XS11 with great results. My Vmax runs Amsoil with great results. If it was going to make a clutch slip, would't that show up on a powerful bike like my Max?

Oh, and the price may make your wallet drain faster too. But really, is it that much more?

I run my bike in near freezing weather as well as in hot traffic. Why not a good synthetic?

My opinion, of course

paul from Minnesota
Old 04-18-2005, 04:16 AM   #3
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

The Honda brand HP oils are pretty good, IMO (I believe that they are actually made by Mobil). I use the blend with moly and have been into enough dirtbike, streetbike, and racebike engines to be impressed.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:20 AM   #4
xlr8r
Founding Member

26,000 miles is nothing. What did you think it would do, expire? Synthetic is marvellous stuff, but if engine longevity is your aim, then buy reasonable quality non-synth oil and change it twice as often. Even every 1000, if you feel like it - it takes ten minutes, costs only a few bucks, and you'll never need to rebuild the engine. Ever.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:32 AM   #5
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Go for it. Other than cost, and the possibility of finding some leaks that you did not know about, synthetics are fine for most any bike. Your wallet is the only thing that will take a beating, conpared to regular oils.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:32 AM   #6
sarnali
Founding Member

Ah cool, an oil thread....

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic in my w/c Trophy, either the MX4T 10W40 in the winter or 15W50 car oil in the summer. I've used either Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec going back to the mid 80's when Syntec came out in a variety of air cooled and water cooled bikes with nary a hiccup.

If you want the best oil then use synthetic, either car oil or bike oil in the proper grade will hold up longer than anything else. I change oil at 6k per factory recomendations, use stock oil filters and full syn. oil and the bike runs as good at 30k as it did new.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:50 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

Sarnali,

Completely off-topic, but have you seen the new ST? The dealer saw how enraptured I was, and spared me. He didn't fire it up.

It was Silver.

Man-o-man-o-man...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:53 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

The only problem I've had with synthetic oil was notchy shifting with Castrol Syntec. I've had good results with Mobil1 and with RotellaT.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:11 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I use Mobil1 15-50 in everything I own. It works great and you can buy it at any Wal-Mart in the country. Do it.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:30 AM   #10
smokingtz
Founding Member

Mobil 15W50 in everything I own.
smokingtz is offline   Reply With Quote