Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 12-30-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: KTM Junior Supercross Challenge

Great! Kpaul's chance to finally get some riding experience.

Gotta start somewhere.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
dylanmo
Founding Member

Don't send her to Wazzu like you threatened, there's nowhere to ride out here, because there are no curvy roads or hills at all anywhere and I think I know a guy who voted for Bush in this town. It's awful. Stay away.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:42 PM   #4
blitz
Founding Member

KPaul,

I started both of my daughters on dirt bikes early (5 and 7) a few years ago. 5 was a bit young, but by the time she was six, we did a 9 day camping/dirtbike riding in the U.P. of Michigan.

If you want to get your kids to be safe, responsible drivers when they turn 16, get them on a dirt bike early. They'll understand spatial awareness, not panic when a vehicle slides, and know that if they want to hot rod, they do it off of the street. It is SO much better than driver's ed.

I have many frightening statistics about teen drivers. If you want your kid to be safe, teach them early. Buy your daughter a dirt bike, and buy yourself one, too. Spend time alone with her in the woods. Its the best thing on earth. It will also make you a better street rider for the very same reasons. Maybe even help you smoke Sean on the track.....

Well, I wouldn't go that far.

blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 03:54 AM   #5
Neal
Founding Member

Not just KPAUL....ALL of us would benefit from more dirt riding. Lack of timre and good legal riding areas limit my offroad time,but its the best way to hone your street skills
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 03:57 AM   #6
Neal
Founding Member

If you really think she's gonna ride.get her on a dirtbike now! Its the best investment in her safety you'll ever make!
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:08 AM   #7
dylanmo
Founding Member

Yeahp, this is true. My dad got me on a dirt bike at 8. Nearly ten years off bikes to get through school and it the early dirt riding still was invaluable experience when I finally threw a leg over again.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:34 AM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Stuporcross

In my mind "Supercross" ruined the nobel sport of Motocross.

Way too many injuries, like when a youngster cases his bike, trying to clear a triple jump and ends up with a broken back.

Or misjudges a landing and eats it big from about 20 feet up. Splat.

Granted, most Supercross guys are fantastic riders, but pay far too high a price for the crowds enjoyment. Like gladiators.

"For those about to eat it, we salute you."

Of course, this is the opinion of an old fart who still has only 4 inches of suspension travel to worry about.

But it's good travel.

Old 12-31-2004, 09:49 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

The first three inches disappear when you get on the bike, right?

I agree about supercross. I've always felt it was a yawner. It's purpose is to allow indoor arena racing and thereby keep the bills paid. Motocross on a large varied course is much more interesting and fun IMO. Watching supercross just makes my kidneys hurt by proxy.

Still, supercross is very entertaining compared to that free style jumping borefest. If I want to watch people doing the same stunts over and over ad infinitum I'll tune in women's gymnastics.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:07 AM   #10
jungkvist
Founding Member

Personally, I think the old Scrambles were best (boy, am I dating myself). They were more like SuperMoto, without the pavement.

Hey, if I want to see someone do rediculous things in the air, I'd rather watch those tiny-Chinese-acrobats, try to turn themselves inside-out on the Cirq-de So la' (sure gets me to thinkin...Whoa!).