Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 05-21-2004, 05:53 AM   #32
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: High School Flipping Wheelies

I too, had a '67 441, in high school. The "Victim". When it was running (more not than often) it was pretty fast, but handled like it had a hinge in the middle.

One time, the absurdly heavy horn fell off, and the bike actually felt faster. In fact, parts fell off with alarming rugularity. One one trip, "over the crest", so much stuff fell off, that, if I would have continued the ride, I would have ended up with the lightest 441 in existance.

I sold the beast, finally, after I got sick of primary case screws vibrating out, and disappearing. I still have spares in my tool chest. And the horn.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:02 AM   #36
tonyharrah
Founding Member

Default Re: Latest Code Wheelie School Schedule

What kind of brakes do you have? If you have discs it's fairly easy at slow speeds. The hard part is getting the guts to do it at a high enough speed to get a good, long stoppie. I've never ridden a bike w/ mechanical disc brakes, but they probably work just as well.

Old-school brakes (cantilever & V-brakes) do not work as well. Sometimes, with these kind of brakes, the pads work better in one section of the rim than the rest of it. When you hit that point as you're balancing over the front tire you get tossed.

Another thing to try: Get your girlfriend to drive you up a good mountain pass (preferably with at least two lanes each direction) and haul down with her in the car behind you to guard against the dreaded vehicular enema. You think 140mph on a motorcycle is wild? Try 55mph on a pedal bike! Wear your gear, though. I always rock the Aerostich and Arai when I do something stupid like this. Oh, and I still like motorcycles better.

-Tony

04 ZX6R

03 BMW F650GS
tonyharrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 06:12 AM   #38
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Latest Code Wheelie School Schedule

Lemesee... $495.00 for a one day wheelie course. I may be a simpleton out here in the "sticks" but that seems like a lot. I reckon If you've got that much disposable bank you should have at it but may I suggest.......

The low hype wheelie school

1) $0.5 - $2K for a used dirt bike and accessories (which you get to keep)

2) A dirt field (free outside of California)

3) $20 in beer money for your instructor (apres ride, of course)

4) massive smiles without scientology

And I would maintain thats the way that 99% of use learned wheelies, stoppies, tire slides and every other trick in the toolbox.

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 06:17 AM   #39
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Buz can translate

I forwarded the web page to my girlfriend.

I'm sure it is promoting the current rumour.

MV Agusta's F4 will also be 1000cc.

Superbike could get quite interesting next year.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 06:21 AM   #40
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Speaking of beer

How was your weekend in Cali?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote