Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 11-04-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
itsings
Founding Member

Default Re: Video Tour of the Dragon

WOW, I got motion sick just watching the video, god forbid riding that bad boy. I would have to pull over every few miles. And I bet it would take fifteen minutes for the "world" to stop "banking" even then!!! LOL

Sweet vid, thanks
itsings is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2003, 07:31 PM   #2
huckleberg
Founding Member

notice how slow he was going ... he never seemed to have the tach up in the power band ...

he prolly had way more fun than me when i did it; it was a summer weekend with tons of traffic, i got stuck behind an effin' minivan ...

huck
huckleberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:42 AM   #3
davoduc
Founding Member

If you go, watch out for the cops on the Foothills Parkway side (where the video starts) - it's a scenic drive and part of a national or state park, I think. The entire area is a fantastic ride.
davoduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:42 AM   #4
gatling
Founding Member

Awesome video; thanks for sharing.

Joe Berk

www.joeberkphotography.com
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 03:07 AM   #5
slackmeister
Registered Member

training video!!!

"Now class, notice how he goes to the outside (most of the time) for the delayed-apex..."

And he also seems to be going downhill for most of it. Probably got all the speed he needed from that burst at the beginning.
slackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 03:09 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Been to the dragon 4 times. It's the wildest roller coaster you will ever ride.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:21 AM   #7
cmice
Founding Member

Regardless of critiques of riding style, is a good video! Thaks for posting!

Has me wondering, however, what's the big deal about deal's gap? I've not ridden it, so take my opine for what it's worth.

But having seen that vid, much of that route is comparable to multiple routes we ride here in Northern California every weekend. And at least on Deal's, you can see through the corners, it is actually two-lanes wide, and most tricky corners appear to be marked.

My point...? Before proclaiming this route as "the ultimate route ever created by mankind"...get out and ride some other routes. And I pledge to do the same!

cmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 06:16 AM   #8
James_Brown
Registered Member

The big advantage that the Dragon has over California roads: it's not in California.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 07:03 AM   #9
Lowrez
Founding Member

The Dragon is, IMHO, the least praise worthy road in the area around the Smokey National Park. It gets the most hype in part because of the statistically anomaly (300+ turns in 11 miles) and the small businesses at the end of it which make their living off motorcyclists. With the Blue Ridge Parkway 30 minutes away, Cherohala Skyway at the tail of the Dragon, and the multitude of roads running through the national park itself, you have lots of woderful roads to ride.

I was down there near the end of August this year and we had the roads to ourselves from 7am-5pm on Friday and Saturday. Certainly nothing better east of the Mississippi.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 07:21 AM   #10
mile_eater
Founding Member

What makes the Dragon a great road is the fact that the TN part of it is banked so perfectly, so well kept up. It's like its been swept!!! Freshly paved with new asphalt, it's sticky as can be.

It's one thing to find a twisty road. It's another thing to find a twisty road that a good rider can fly on.

It's not a road for the cruiser crowd. It's a road that Keith Code has wet dreams about.