Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 11-05-2003, 12:33 PM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey, I resemble that remark!

Any place with snowbirds is going to get its share of awful drivers.

I lived in AZ for a while and our comment on snowbirds was, "they went out for a walk and took their car with them."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2003, 01:48 PM   #22
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Thanks pushrod

Cool site thanks
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 03:13 PM   #23
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Default Re: Video Tour of the Dragon

Great video. The Dragon looks like a good road to have some fun on a sport bike. However, at some point I may not be able to justify the expense to have that fun. You see, where I'm from, the government run insurance monopoly has decided to classify bikes into three categories. 1. Sport 2. Cruiser/Tourer or 3. Dual Purpose/other. The plan is to collect enough premiums from each class to pay for the claims in each class. Well, guess what? There's a much higher percentage of sport bikes involved in accidents compared to the other two categories. A reliable source tells me the insurance premiums on sport bikes must increase 600% to balance the payouts in the sport class. This will be phased in over a number of years but it looks to me like the writing is on the wall. My sport bike future is doomed because the insurance premiums will be too high. Currently I pay $1000CDN per year. (about $750US) I realize riders in other locales pay a lot more than that for insurance and I can handle some increase but this is still going to be a tough pill to swallow. Our insurance company doesn't plan on considering age of rider in the rates. They haven't done it for cars and so have no plans to do it for bikes either.

signed: Worried in the Flat Lands
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 05:26 PM   #24
SuperBill
Founding Member

Great video. Thanks for the post!
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:29 AM   #25
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

Get a new insurance agent, I pay $300 a year, helps that I'm a 40 year old home owner. I hope the much talked about study of motorcycle accidents will get the funding it needs so an objective look can be taken at insurance rates. At one time it was thought that the most sought after motorcycle, by thieves, was the HD type until a study was commissioned on the number of motorcycle stolen in the US, it found out that the motorcycle most often stolen were sport bikes.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:30 AM   #26
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

great post, this will have to get me through the winter.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:10 PM   #27
maladg
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey, I resemble that remark!

Good point, but I'm NOT young and have spent the last 20 yrs working for 2 FLA based companies...first in Boca and now in Sarasota. I live in GA. I have a get away place in the N. Ga mts (near Blairsville) and know of what I speak... I fully stand by what I say and to be more specific - the folks from FLA that visit the SE mts are flat out the worst and most dangerous drivers I have EVER seen. As to FLA drivers in FLA, I have no comment - they are as good and as bad as I've seen elsewhere.

BTW, I'm in the safety business and a CSP.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 01:38 PM   #28
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Great video......thanx for sharing. The best part of your production was the control you showed. Most Dragon videos have the rider spending as much time across the double line as where they really belong. Thank you for having the maturity to show a Deal's Gap ride as it should be done. Personally, I'm not a Dragon fan--too much work at too slow a speed. There are so many better roads in the Smoky's that are tons more fun. No matter what, I certainly can't deny that slaying the dragon at a reasonably quick pace (and staying in your own lane--a requirement for me) is both a challenge and an accomplishment. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 03:47 PM   #29
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

If you like that one, check out This Video The bike is a Ducati 749S and the road is about 10 minutes from my house in Simi Valley, CA. I think it's a "Reasonably quick pace, and no double yellows were crossed in the making of this film.

If you are more of a Sport Touring guy, Here is the same road, on a big BMW K-1200GT, complete with scraping noises.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:41 PM   #30
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

No can do. The insurance is from a government run monopoly. You can't shop for insurance. Everyone gets the same rate. I'm a 47 year old homeowner with no accidents and no ticket problems. Doesn't matter. Same rate.
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote