Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Crusty MO (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/crusty-mo/)
-   -   Dirt rider? NOT!!! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/crusty-mo/2187-dirt-rider-not.html)

gbrummett 10-27-2003 09:14 AM

First Post!

And my friend was trying to talk me into getting a new dirt bike, sounds like it's safer to keep my 46 year old butt on the paved roads.

ducatirdr 10-27-2003 10:18 AM

Re: Dirt rider? NOT!!!

Funny I had done the same thing on my Xr100 Pit bike this past year. I was riding the old trails near the house and ran into a set of logs blocking access across a farmers pasture. I tried to find a way around but after a sweaty 1/2 hour I gave up and retreated home in one piece.

The XR100 went on to teach my two girls how to ride with a clutch and then due to racing budget (ya know) was sold to raise funds to rebuild my race bikes tranny.

So much for off-road riding.

seruzawa 10-27-2003 10:50 AM

Let that be a lesson to ya.

Next time take a 250 when ya go off road. It's much easier to manhandle.

Abe_Froman 10-27-2003 10:57 AM

So he came to a dead end, got his dirtbike half-stuck, and had to turn around. Super. This guy needs to calm down, it wasn't the end of the world. Fun story and I don't mind that it was posted, but I'm not sure that it was the newsworthy near-disaster he made it out to be. Perhaps the purpose was to make the rest of us laugh at him? Now, MO, that's just mean. LOL

BBD_Racing 10-27-2003 11:49 AM

That is the thing that makes dirt riding so nice. Unlike our sanitized normal world, there are consequences for doing dumb things. Unlike our sportbike on streets world, most of those consequences aren't fatal.

The guy that lead the first successful trip to and from the South Pole said something about adventure: "Having and 'adventure' is a sign of incompetance." I try to remember that when I am going out on some sort of excursion. Sadly, I am still incompetant sometimes.

BMW4VWW 10-27-2003 01:14 PM

After "manhandling" the old R 100 GS out of several stupid situations, I'm inclined to agree with you. It's a damn shame that those 250's make such rotten freeway bikes when it's time to go home. VWW

Neal 10-27-2003 01:51 PM

Re: First Post!

No,No!!!! Buy the dirt bike.Go smaller ,ride with a buddy(or buddies) and ride known trails......all the rules that we dont follow.be smart(unlike some of the rest of us) and have the time of your life. My 52 year old fat butt and my 29 year old CANAM TNT(I should have kept the 92 KDX200) have had a great time in the woods...just ride smart.

wang 10-28-2003 09:05 AM

I've met this guy, he has tons of these tales that exist in cyberspace at backroadstriumph.com. A real good guy, he is, and a pretty good story teller. Just get him started about "Tigger"...

jybass 10-28-2003 09:19 AM

Re: First Post!

I must be thinking with my 56 year old butt. I just recently started enduro classes in an attempt to improve my on road cruiser skills, but liked it so much that I got a new Honda CRF 230 Enduro and a 2nd one for my wife. We crashed several times as expected, but with all the body armor no problem. I even hit a tree and broke it off as I went flying through the air without a trapeze. The bike is really amazingly agile, far beyond my capacity. My wife says I handle the bike like a monkey with a straight razor. (I think I need to go a little slower). We live in Santiago, Chile where there are a lot of places to go off-road.

Just remember, there's no fool like and old fool.

Jon

cota 10-29-2003 10:45 AM

I can identify with this. This spring I bought a DR650 for exploring in the mountains west of Denver and have had a couple of these "adventures" since. At 49 it's real easy to wonder, right in the middle of the exploration, why am I here. Frankly my "kind-a-dirt" bike seems to make me nearly as dumb as I was in 1974 when I rode a Hodaka all over the hills of Minnesota. It's a hoot! It can be way too much fun for my old butt on a single track trail though. But maybe the opportunity to be dumb is what makes dirt riding so much fun.

The last dirt riding I did was in 1976 with a Hodaka 125 Wombat. The DR is much more capable, gets to the ride area in a lot more comfort, and so far takes the beatings a lot better. I wish I could say as much for myself.