Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Crusty MO (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/crusty-mo/)
-   -   Old Crash Facts (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/crusty-mo/1886-old-crash-facts.html)

red916 05-29-2003 04:14 AM

Re: Old Crash Facts

Wow.

SmokeU 05-29-2003 04:34 AM

Quite interesting, I wonder how much those figures have changed in the 22 years since they have been released.

runner00 05-29-2003 05:58 AM

Now thats a great study yielding a wealth of information. How about a summary ?

Abe_Froman 05-29-2003 06:19 AM

20. Craftsmen, laborers, and students comprise most of the accident-involved motorcycle riders. Professionals, sales workers, and craftsmen are under represented and laborers, students and unemployed are over- represented in the accidents.

"And what do you do, Mr. Lebowski?"

"I'm unemployed."

jfgilbert 05-29-2003 06:34 AM

Re: Old Crash Facts - summary squared

Accidents happen, more often to riders who are untrained or drunk, and they get hurt more when not wearing protective gear.

Cagers often don't see you. It may help if you wear a bright dress, but it won't help if you get into a corner too fast. No word about loud pipes.

The report is several hundred pages long. That was the summary.

Clem_1 05-29-2003 07:35 AM

Wow again. Once I've read and re-read this list, printed it out and read it again, it'll become required reading for #1 son, 18yrs old, owner of his own 2001 CBR600F4i. He has had a motorcycle safety course, taken at the local technical college, and I have taken great pains to show him just how invisible he can be on the bike. Although I consider him an excellent rider and level-headed (I know, he's 18!) I exist to be his broken record on safety issues. Hmmm... bout time for me to take a class myself. Clem.

NoKneeDown 05-29-2003 07:42 AM

"Then I suggest you do what your parents did. Get a job, sir!"

ValknMag 05-29-2003 08:05 AM

So, I've had my Valkyrie for 3 years, and my CBR1100XX for 3 weeks. Not trying to start a firestorm here, but personally, I take issue with #46. I look over my shoulder before changing lanes on either bike or in my car. I was taught "Mirrors can only say, 'No.' " Valky riding position, upright, I can turn my head easily to see over the shoulder; with the forward-leaning position on the XX I have to let go of a handlebar and twist my body to see. No, I don't have a short/immobile neck; yes, when I ride without a helmet my peripheral vision looking over the shoulder is good enough to change lanes with confidence. I advocate helmet use, but let's face it, there is a loss there. The writer of these comments is solely responsible for their content, helmetless riders will go to H-E-double hockey sticks, your mileage may vary, etc.

SmokeU 05-29-2003 08:17 AM

It was written 22 years ago, sportbikes as we know them today didn't exist. So the twisting action you have to do to see behind wasn't neccessary back then.

ValknMag 05-29-2003 08:22 AM

Oh, allow me to revise and extend--in the context of the other items here, it was noted that most of the multi-vehicle collisions occured within 45 degrees of straight ahead if the motorcyclist. Yes, helmets don't obstruct that field of vision at all. I get it. Just forgot to include it.