Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 12-08-2002, 01:59 PM   #61
dirtyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Loud Pipes Cost a Life?

Here's a little useful information that may help clue someone in; you see, while people are out blasting their loud pipes and getting in fights and/or shootings and generally drawing attention to themselves, there are all these other people out there with the throttle pinned. Sliding, jumping, doing wheelies and all that jazz, right in the middle of the city and getting away with it. Stealth baby. Think of being the tree in the woods that no one is around to hear fall. And if you need to be justified by being seen, that's cool, we can use you as a diversion. Cause all good plans need one. See ya in Seattle...cause you won't see me, sucka.
dirtyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2002, 04:09 PM   #62
gooseman_1
Founding Member

I aggree 100% except for: "all of which..... depending on the fine deetails, are probably greater crimes than what the driver did."

Up until the driver pulled a gun and shot him!! I would argue that shooting someone is far worse than even the sum of the bikers crimes (especially when the order of events are considered). As such, the driver deserves far more time in prison.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 04:18 PM   #63
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Rights of the Aggressor and Duty to Retreat

With you right up until the: "That's why guns are dumb" statement. However, given the absurd lightness of his sentence the 'repeated viscous a$$ raping" sounds prudent.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:21 PM   #64
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Rights of the Aggressor and Duty to Retreat

NOW I'm with you 100% (No qualifications)
Old 12-08-2002, 05:31 PM   #65
greatoldbikes
Founding Member

Default Eager for a fight

Except for one post, everyone writing so far seems to assume this was a Harley, and the rider was some tough biker type who got in the drivers face. But the information is incomplete. Was it a Ducati, being ridden by some banker having a bad day, or acting out his tough-guy biker attitude fantasy? Or an R1? Or an old Norton?

Whatever the case, we all know the reason 90% of people re-pipe their bikes, and it's not "to make them go faster." It's the same reason kids crank up boom-boom car stereos and put those stupid mufflers on 75hp Honda Civics: so they'll be noticed. It's an animal instinct to show the plummage, whether for finding a mate or warning off the other males. Loud pipes/stereos/money is just another way to pea*****.

As an owner of a loud bike (an old Kawi KZ), I know it's true because it does get you noticed. I don't know if an open-pipe harley can be "quiet enough" at any rpm, but my KZ is unobnoxious below 3500rpm, so I have learned to short-shift in residential areas. You don't have to show the feathers all the time.

And is everyone in this country itching for a fight, or what?

GOB
Old 12-08-2002, 06:27 PM   #66
gforces
Founding Member

Default Re: Advice? How to shut up my bike

There are people out there that take your stock muffler, remove the baffles, making the exhaust go straight through. They do this with stock pipes, and it gives the customer the desired effect of an aftermarket "performance" pipe at a fraction of the price.

I'm sure the same guys could take your aftermarket pipe and add on what they usually take out. I can't remember who and where these guys are, but if you do some research on the web, I'm sure you'll find them.

This guy does it for Ducatis, and he outlines how he does it. http://www.ducatipipemod.com

hope this helps.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 06:53 PM   #67
Harry_T_CZ
Founding Member

Default Re: Eager for a fight

You make a very good point. There are very few details in the article itself. The inferences are that this is an open piped nasty bike. The truth? We don't know from this article. Was it an old British bike with a misfire? Was the biker trying to figure out why the engine was running rough and was trying to keep it running through the intersection so he could pull off to the side? Might he have even asked the other driver to roll his window up since he wasn't sure he could keep his bike running even by racing it? Might he have pulled to side of the road as soon as possible to figure out what was wrong only to be run into by the auto driver who got out of the car to confront his tormentor? If you had pulled off the road and been hit from behind wouldn't you be pretty upset? And then to find the fellow who hit you come charging towards you.

Unfortunately, we weren't provided with information, just entertainment.

It is interesting to see how many of us immediately make assumptions about who the biker was based on a few peripheral statements about him.

Consider a little longer before you jump out of that car with your gun!
Harry_T_CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 07:35 PM   #68
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Default Re: Eager for a fight

It is interesting to see how many of us immediately make assumptions about who the biker was based on a few peripheral statements about him."

Fair enough, but the fact is, at least in Southern CA where I live, Harleys are very numerous and I rarely see one with anything other than straight pipes on it. If the shoe fits.

The pity it, big twins sound awesome with a properly set up straight through glass pack baffle system. Unlike straight pipes, such a setup actually enhances midrange torque and power too.

I love the sound my neighbor's dresser, with what I believe is a V&H system, makes. Mellow and thumpy, it will put out a nice full throated roar when he romps on it, but it also allows some discretion as he trolls out of the neighborhood on his Sunday morning rides.

Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 05:37 AM   #69
bwarbiany23
Founding Member

Default Re: Ft. Wayne, IN

Hey, for a motorcyclist, it's worth the extra money... I'd rather be in the SF area with twisties all around than in flat, boring Ft. Wayne. I had a choice at two jobs, one in San Jose and one in Ft. Wayne. They'd have had to pay me a lot more to live in Ft. Wayne than the company in San Jose was...

Brad
bwarbiany23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 06:04 AM   #70
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

I don't think you read the story. Chapman was bumped by the other bozo. His bike was bumped by a car! He was assaulted first by a moving weapon. Ya, I would grab the other fella by the shirt!

I do agree that many ppl get out of control with their damn loud pipes, but shooting somone?

Pain_Seraphiin is offline   Reply With Quote