Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 12-07-2002, 04:08 PM   #51
brianpalser
Registered Member

Default Re: Loud Pipes Cost a Life?

Don't you think the old man SHOULD have never followed the biker to strike the bike with his CAR. Do not tell me that over half the bikers on the road would not retaliate when their bikes are purposefully hit with a car. They are both at fault and I don't think the car driver deserves a bit of mercy. It is called two ****ey idiots who need a life.
brianpalser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2002, 04:34 PM   #52
wilmilan
Founding Member

I agree 100%. The driver should not have followed and struck the bike. Likewise the biker should not have retaliated and escalated the altercation as he did. Both are indeed at fault and neither deserves any sympathy, in my view.

As to half the bikers on the road retaliating if their bike is hit, I'd hate to think that is true, and I doubt that it is. It's stupid to do that, it only makes the situation worse, and I certainly hope half of us are not that stupid and out of control. We're better than that, I think.

Wil M.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:56 PM   #53
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Rights of the Aggressor and Duty to Retreat

According to my PMBR study book (studying for the California Bar exam, you know- third time's a charm!), "An aggressor is one who strikes the first blow or commits a crime (ramming his bike) against the victim. The aggressor can retain the right of self-defense in either of two ways: 1. upon complete withdrawl percieved by the other party or 2. escalation of force by the victim of the initial aggression."

Also, the majority of states impose no duty to retreat on the Defendant before using deadly force, and even in "retreat" jurisdictions, the defendant need only retreat if it can be done safely.

So did Patten have reason to believe bad-ass biker billy was "escalating" the level of force? Tough to say. Maybe- that's up to the jury. Did he have a duty to retreat? Depends on the laws of the great state of Indiana, but even if it is a "retreat" jurisdiction, (which I doubt!), maybe he felt he had no way to get away from biker billy safely.

I think picking a fight with a loaded gun in your pocket and then using the gun is pre-meditated or first degree murder- attempted if the bullet doesn't do it's job.

That's why guns are dumb! I wonder if Patten will be debating how great it is to be able to carry a concealed handgun as he's being viscously a$$ raped over and over?

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 06:57 AM   #54
JohnnyBandito
Founding Member

Default Advice? How to shut up my bike

I have a Suzuki Bandit 400 (sweetest bike ever) bought with a Vance and Hines supersport pipe on it. It is very strong running (about 6 hp stronger on the dyno than a stocker) but it's unfortunately quite loud. Since that bike didn't sell well, it's really hard to find other options for the pipe. Suzuki wants more for the original pipe than the bike is worth and no other aftermarket maker still makes a pipe for this bike. I'm wondering if anyone knows what I can do with the baffling or diameter of the inner steel mesh that the fiberglass is wrapped around in order to bring down the decibels. When I look down the end of the pipe, it's just a straight steel mesh tube running thru. Any advice from anyone on how to quiet this thing down (at least a little) without totally choking it? Should I try a smaller diameter tube? Putting a bend in the tube path? Different fiberglass baffling?
JohnnyBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 07:49 AM   #55
wilmilan
Founding Member

Default Re: Rights of the Aggressor and Duty to Retreat

"That's why guns are dumb"

I was with you right up to this knee-jerk non-sequitur about guns. That someone uses a gun stupidly does not make guns stupid -- no more than because an idiot uses a motorcycle stupidly makes motorcycles stupid.

Motorcyclists, more so than most, should be wary of condemning a piece of equipment rather than the intent of its user. Guns and motorcycles -- both often reviled out of prejudice and ignorance -- can never be guilty of anything, because they can only be the instruments of their users. It's their users who deserve condemnation, not the equipment they choose to use, be it two-wheeled or two-fisted.

Wil M.

Old 12-08-2002, 08:25 AM   #56
seruzawa
The Toad

You might be surprised to learn just how many of the instigators of these weird altercations are on anti-depressants. Gives a whole new look at life. We are living in an increasingly drug-addict society. The problem with this class of drugs is that drug addiction has been made respectable. But, it is still drug addiction with the concomittant results.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:09 AM   #57
blackvalkster
Founding Member

Default Re:There is no GOD!

It's all about "VANITY"?

Not about better performance, or letting

people know your coming!

It's about "ME", here I am, "I'm cool",

"I'm bad", "look at me"!!

Just like people who have to have a Lexus,

or big gas guzzling SUV!

It's all just an act, a show, going nowhere

on a insignificant ball floating through the

cold, dark, void of space!

Stupid little selfish beings, longing to

understand nothing!! GOD is Dead!!!
blackvalkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 09:35 AM   #58
wilmilan
Founding Member

Default Re:There is no GOD!

Skipped our Prozac today, did we? Hmmm???

:>

WM
Old 12-08-2002, 01:25 PM   #59
HighsideHarry
Founding Member

Default Re: Ft. Wayne, IN

Hey, I live in SF.

He got a hell of a good deal!

500K is "average" here for starter homes.
HighsideHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 02:16 PM   #60
gforces
Founding Member

Do you think the car driver would've still chased the biker and rammed his bike, if he weren't packing?--I don't think so. The gun he had with him gave him the confidence he needed to go ahead and give chase with the intention to assault the biker.

And the fact that he did it with a gun in his hand screams the word "intent". Had the biker not grabbed the driver, I think the penalty would have been stiffer.

The biker's brain should've told him that this fellow was crazy (right when his bike was rammed) and just taken down his license plate number, any other witnesses, and possibly throw in the fact that he was brandishing the weapon and yelling death threats while giving chase--that's what I'm going to do if I ever get into a similar situation. I'll remember this article, as everybody else here should.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote