Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 12-06-2002, 05:22 PM   #31
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Loud Pipes Cost a Life?

It is generally okay to use deadly force in self-defense. However, the doctrine of self-defense requires that you do everything possible to retreat and avoid confrontation and only use deadly force if there is no reasonable way out. In Texas you can use deadly force to protect your property, as well.

However, chasing the biker and bumping him would most likely invalidate any self-defense plea.

Still, you can never be sure. Our legal system can charitably be called psychotic. All too often criminals are treated as royalty by the courts while the victims pay the whole price. Almost any policeman will tell you this.

It is best to live one's life so as to avoid any involvement in the legal system.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2002, 05:26 PM   #32
r1derbike
Founding Member

The above being said, the shooter shouldn't receive a damned plea-bargain; he should be drawn, quartered, and processed for animal consumption.

Outta here...Charles (viper)

'00 RWB R1 #34...'cuz there can only be THE ONE.

'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha' of all modern sportbikes.

'03 FJR 1300...'cuz ya' gotta keep HER happy.

Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.

http://www.picturetrail.com/r1derbike/823464
\'00 RWB R1 #34...\'cuz there can only be THE ONE.
\'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha\' of all modern sportbikes.
\'03 FJR 1300...\'cuz ya\' gotta keep HER happy.
Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.
http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A0B19
r1derbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 05:37 PM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

Patton would be well advised NOT to try this in Utah. We have shall-issue concealed carry permits here.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:16 PM   #34
gooseman_1
Founding Member

As a concealed handgun owner I say: Amen brother. I support people's right to carry and use a gun in SELF DEFENCE. While the rider was rude, the driver clearly lost it when he followed him and hit his parked bike. As far as I know being rude isn't against the law, but stalking and ramming someone is. Even if the guy didn't die as the article might suggest, the driver still got off VERY easy. Good advice on legal system too. So sad but true.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 06:23 PM   #35
hawkrider
Founding Member

Default Re: Loud Pipes Cost a Life?/ or When Buttholes Colide!

This was clearly a meeting of two individuals who probably deserved each other. Loud pipes are no reason to pull a gun. But please... Sometimes we are responsible for the circumstances that we help create.

I just assume everyone is nuts and try my best to stay out of situations that are ultimately out of my control. But thats just me.
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 06:56 PM   #36
Duken4evr
Founding Member

When those who ride obnoxiously loud straight piped bikes choose to impose themselves in a forceful way on the general population, which contains individuals who are stressed out, altercations can happen.

People have a right to relative peace and quiet. Riding such a bike in an urban environment invites a fight. I don't condone what the car driver did, but he had a right to be pissed off. The biker's response to his reasonable request escalated this to a whole new level.

I can only hope that people will wake up and stop being idiots with their obnoxiously loud straight pipes. As a sport rider, I also wish some of us would stop going 160 mph down the freeway and/or pulling stunts in public view.

Both types of rider draw attention to us from an increasing stressed and intolerant public at our peril, both as individuals and as members of a common family of bike riders.

We are a family, with feuds and all, and some of us are idiots. The idiots disproporionately have the ability to give the whole family of motorcyclists a bad name.

The majority of non idiot riders really need to start letting it be known that is not "cool" to ride bikes with straight pipes. It is not OK to go 160 down the freeway. It is not OK to do wheelies past the cops.

It is all stupid behavior and it can lead to harsh and unforseen consequences...

Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 07:16 PM   #37
gringolet
Founding Member

Default Fuct Wayne, Indiana

Seems like a real redneck paradise to me...

An argument over a wheelchair left a Churubusco man in jail Monday after he led police on a brief chase.

According to Fort Wayne Police, Dewey R. Fredrick, 59, entered Hamilton's Assistive Technology Services at 142 E. Collins Drive about noon and complained to employees that his daughter almost fell out of a wheelchair that he said was faulty.

Employees said they would assist him, but Fredrick refused to calm down. According to reports, Fredrick became so argumentative that one employee called the police.

An officer asked Fredrick to leave the building, and when he did leave, he threw a partially empty soda can in the parking lot. Fredrick refused to pick up the can after the officer told him to.

Fredrick then got into his van and started it. The officer instructed him to get out of the van, but Fredrick started to leave. The officer sprayed a chemical agent at Fredrick's face as he drove away.

The officer pursued Fredrick through Collins, Speedway, Ley and Industrial roads before other officers were able to stop him.

Fredrick was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct, resisting law enforcement and a felony count of fleeing in a vehicle.

gringolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 07:31 PM   #38
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default I'm gonna go out on a limb here...

O.K. As far as I can see it, this is the situation: A certain population really enjoys the sound of their motorcycles' exhaust pipes. This pisses off everyone around town as they ride around. Sooooo... At the risk of making someone with initiative very rich, and everyone in this scenario happy, why doesn't someone invent straight pipes that have some sort of muffler insert that can be easily removed/replaced (quarter turn self locking or something) that can be stored away somewhere on their bike when they hit the open road and decide they want to take it out and let their bikes "breathe freely" (ie run like crap)? Could it really be that hard? Look at the things "they" can do with technology these days, and I repeat, "could it really be that hard?"

luvmyvfr

p.s. If someone reading this makes this happen, you gotta give me some credit
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 11:08 PM   #39
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Uh.. actually, it's been done...

... but they didn't sell. Slip-ons by the name of "DB-Busters", or something like that... Hmmm, I seem to be coming down with CRS syndrome..(can't remember sh**).
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 01:47 AM   #40
rideondude
Founding Member

Default Well said!

Duken, well said brother! We're our worst enemy most of the time (5% of us that is). But those 5% who are idiots don't see or think they are doing a friggin thing wrong. That's the sad part.
rideondude is offline   Reply With Quote