Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 11-08-2000, 10:35 AM   #1
MartialStax
Founding Member

Default Re: KTM LC8 Adventure Reader Feedback

A dual-purpose bike is going to be my next ride, and I've been kind of waiting for KTM to release their twin. Yeah, it's a little strange looking, but it may be just what I need. I'll do some comparison shopping between it and the new Aprilia CapoNord and BMW R1150GS before I decide, though. Hmm. A Buell giant-trailie... Why not?
MartialStax is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2000, 03:01 PM   #2
RobM
Founding Member

Uh, just as an aside, White Power is no longer the name of that suspension firm, they are now only known by the initials WP. I can't imagine the reason for the change, and sometimes mind extends the name while I am reading anyway.

O well.
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2000, 03:28 PM   #3
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Um...am I missing something here? Who would want to go 140 off-road? I'm no "highway only" guy, but it seems off-road demands much slower speeds because of the increased debris and skittish animals.

Yes I know they do it in the Paris-Dakar rally, but it seems that even finishing that in one piece is a testament to being an expert.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2000, 04:43 PM   #4
Cadillac62
Founding Member

Probably the same people that would do 190mph on the highway...
Cadillac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2000, 01:10 AM   #5
john
Founding Member

the bike will be used in rallyes. In rallyes they will go 140. Offroad. In sand. That is why it will go 140. The honda xr650 is a dedicated offroad bike and does over 100....
Old 11-09-2000, 04:32 AM   #6
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

While beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I kinda like it. It's interesting, and fresh. Untill I see one close up, I can't tell for sure. Regardless of looks, it promises to handily outperform the BMW's that are like it. I rode a friend's GS-1000 on some back roads, and didn't like it. I can't even imagine riding that thing around in the dirt. On the other hand, I looked at this new KTM and immediately thought about a long trip out west, using the Interstates only to get to the remote, wilderness areas. Maybe I'll get one to keep my new GSXR-1000 company....
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2000, 06:00 AM   #7
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

I think you're missing the point. If it'll go 140mph at redline, it'll cruise at 70mph easily on the highway to get to the dirt areas that you wouldn't think of taking your GSXRZXCBRYZF on. This is a bike you could ride around the world, through almost any conditions. No it's not a dirtbike I'd be doing triple-jumps on, but it should do pretty well, and be excellent on the street. Besides, I'll bet it does good wheelies and stoppies!
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2000, 03:55 PM   #8
James
Founding Member

Another incredible KTM that I, who am in-seam challanged, can only dream about. if I was taller, I'd buy one!
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2000, 06:39 AM   #9
wingdave
Founding Member

Default japanese imports

honda makes a couple large displacement twin "euro" dual sports. (the transalp [650] and the varadero [1000]) but they think we americans don't want them, and don't bring them over the pond for fear of cutting into their cruiser (shadow, magna, ace, valkyrie) market. Suzuki also makes a dual sport styled much the same.. the "freewind".. of course, the same applies.

They think all americans are harley riders (or wanna bes) and leave the whole on-off road segment to buy Beemers or dirt styled (read ugly) trailies.. I would love a honda (for the reliability) but will probably wind up with a triumph tiger.. HEY MO.. HAVE ONE TO TEST YET? (im drooling)

wingdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 11:16 AM   #10
bobdog
Founding Member

Default LC8 vs. GS-1150

As the owner of a year 2000 BMW GS 1150, I'll admit that the new KTM LC-8 had me kicking myself for buying too early. At first. But now I wonder. One of the attractions of such scoots is the idea that you can go in the dirt, if you have to. The KTM, as the article pointed out, looks like a full on dirt bike, or at least a dual sport heavily tilted to dirt use (like the LC 4). Other manufacturers have tried to do this and failed, because they don't realize what BMW does: Most of these bikes are used primarily on the street, and if the LC 8 isn't street friendly enough, it will be a failure. It will be interesting to see what BMW's response will be.
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote