Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Buell (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/buell/)
-   -   headder pipes (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/buell/7984-headder-pipes.html)

MUZZA 05-03-2008 08:42 PM

headder pipes

are the headder pipes on the xb stainless or mild steel coz i hate how thay go brown with the coating on them i thought i could polish the stainless or if they are mild steel i could get them HPC coated whats your thoughts

sachiwilson 05-04-2008 06:18 AM

Your header pipes color because you're riding the bike. Leave 'em. Do you want everyone to think you're a poser?

;)

Kenneth_Moore 05-04-2008 07:37 AM

If it really bugs you that much, go by the auto parts store and get a spray can of header paint. Sand the pipes with 200, clean, and spray.

sarnali2 05-04-2008 07:52 PM

They're stainless, just like on a Bandit and a number of other bikes. I think the golden brown color looks good myself.

MUZZA 05-05-2008 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 183914)
Your header pipes color because you're riding the bike. Leave 'em. Do you want everyone to think you're a poser?

;)

yes i do ride my bike and no im not a poser i just like my bike to look good unlike some people who use that thay ride there bike and thats way there bike looks like its 10 years old when its only 10 weeks old im sorry but i take pride in my gear

Kenneth_Moore 05-05-2008 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUZZA (Post 183976)
yes i do ride my bike and no im not a poser i just like my bike to look good unlike some people who use that thay ride there bike and thats way there bike looks like its 10 years old when its only 10 weeks old im sorry but i take pride in my gear

I sympathise. My DL1000's pipes turned a mottled crappy brown after a hundred miles. It was't a nice bluing or even yellowing like I used to get om my HD pipes. It looked more like rust than anything. That's why I tried the header paint. It left the pipes with a nice flat black finish that looks 1000% better than before. So far it's holding up; it's been on there 4 months now. Prep is everything; make sure you do a good job roughing up and cleaning the pipes before starting. I had to re-do a couple of spots where I didn't do the best possible prep job. Mask carefully, get some of the blue painter's tape and use it liberally; that spray paint really travels.

Kenneth_Moore 05-05-2008 04:31 AM

Painted Pipes

2 Attachment(s)
In these dramatic, unretouched photos, you can see the after and before results of the header paint project.

sarnali2 05-05-2008 05:38 AM

which one is which?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 183981)
In these dramatic, unretouched photos, you can see the before and after results of the header paint project.

give me a hint, they look the same.....

Kenneth_Moore 05-05-2008 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 183990)
give me a hint, they look the same.....

Post edited to give old "Owl Eyes" a clue. Not that it's going to help.

sarnali2 05-05-2008 08:45 AM

Wait...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 184006)
Post edited to give old "Owl Eyes" a clue. Not that it's going to help.

How are we supposed to see anything with that rusty looking pipe in the way ??????

sheesh.....