Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Buell (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/buell/)
-   -   Buell Blast (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/buell/6384-buell-blast.html)

texanchik83 09-16-2007 03:08 PM

Buell Blast
 
I'm a novice female rider, and am looking into getting a Buell Blast as my first bike. I've researched them, gone to several dealerships, sat on them, ridden on the back of them, etc....everything feels great about it. I want to know if any of you more experienced riders out there think this is a good decision and if you've had any good/bad experiences with them. I want/need something that I feel safe on, that I can handle and manuever with ease, and that will be reliable. Thanks for the advice!

Kenneth_Moore 09-16-2007 04:14 PM

The Blast is a favorite for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Rider Training Class, so that says a lot about their suitability for the beginning rider. They are light, have a reasonably low seat height, and Buell has solid build quality.

Two downsides, but certainly not deal breakers: the demand for used Blasts isn't great, and you may find yourself outgrowing it quickly. They are pretty underpowered for much more than putting around town. Think of it as a big scooter. If you like the looks and your feet touch the ground when seated on it, then go for it!

Good luck, and welcome!

texanchik83 09-16-2007 04:24 PM

Thanks for your input. I'm not looking for a lot of speed or power in my first bike. I want to make sure I'm comfortable before that ever becomes an issue.

Kenneth_Moore 09-16-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texanchik83 (Post 169271)
Thanks for your input. I'm not looking for a lot of speed or power in my first bike. I want to make sure I'm comfortable before that ever becomes an issue.

Good plan. A lot of times the reality of motorcycling doesn't match the expectations, and expensive bikes wind up sitting in garages or being sold for a pretty big loss.

Are you planning for, or have you attended a new rider training class yet? Sometimes that can help a new rider decide if they want to go to the next step before actually purchasing a bike.

The_AirHawk 09-16-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 169273)
Are you planning for, or have you attended a new rider training class yet? Sometimes that can help a new rider decide if they want to go to the next step before actually purchasing a bike.

Yeah, it totally sucks when someone spends a Mint on a shiny new bike, and either drops it or scares-themself silly with it & decides that "Motorcycling is NOT for ME........"

It's always best to confirm or deny that fact before outlaying more than minimal funds. Think of it as a "Fact-finding mission".

wavara 09-17-2007 10:15 AM

People either "love them" or "hate them", there's no middle ground. I've been riding for over 20 years. I've had many bikes, most Harleys, some sport bikes. I recently sold my '98 Heritage and my '97 Sportster. It was hard on me so I bought a Blast to hold me over. I absolutely LOVE this bike. It's lightweight, fun, economical, low maintenance (unless you count replacing the tires every 3k miles). The 2000 and 2001 models had some major issues with oil leaks and such. It's not a "power house" but it WILL get up and go. It has a top speed of 96 mph and averages 65-70 mpg. Don't worry about dropping it, the parts are cheap and easy to replace. If you look around you can find a good, clean, used '02 model with 2500 miles or less for about $2,000

seruzawa 09-17-2007 11:15 AM

Buell is a good choice.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by texanchik83 (Post 169267)
I'm a novice female rider, and am looking into getting a Buell Blast as my first bike. I've researched them, gone to several dealerships, sat on them, ridden on the back of them, etc....everything feels great about it. I want to know if any of you more experienced riders out there think this is a good decision and if you've had any good/bad experiences with them. I want/need something that I feel safe on, that I can handle and manuever with ease, and that will be reliable. Thanks for the advice!

And I've also been led to believe that it is a copy of the seminal French Beauell Blasteau.

The_AirHawk 09-17-2007 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 169327)
And I've also been led to believe that it is a copy of the seminal French Beauell Blasteau.

But that was a copy of the Czech Bzkcccllau Bllkestchiza............

Buzglyd 09-17-2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 169332)
But that was a copy of the Czech Bzkcccllau Bllkestchiza............

Both of those were copies of the Corvette.

longride 09-17-2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 169340)
Both of those were copies of the Corvette.

......which was a copy of a French design back in 1682 that was named the Coorvettee.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:13 AM.