Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 01-26-2007, 03:43 AM   #1
brax4444
Registered Member

Default Re: HOG: Please Fund Buell's New Engine

Have you ever ridden a Buell? What's antique about that engine?
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2007, 03:54 AM   #2
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Current owner of 2004 Buell XB12S with race kit

As the current owner of a 2004 Buell XB12S with race kit and former owner of a 2001 Buell M2 Cyclone and having ridden my Buell back to back with a Ducati ST3 and Ducati 999 on the race track I have some ideas on this. You have probably read my ravs about how the DucatiÂ’s can truly stay in one gear around the track or down a fav canyon road from speeds of 35 mph to 130 mph, something that is impossible on my Buell but still provide that great V-Twin feeling I still want.

Buell needs a new engine, and yes I hope it would be as unique as the rest of the bike. With that in mind here are some thoughts as to what could happen in my dreams vs what will happen.

[b]

Dream:

1. Buell develops an all new V-Twin, something as unique as the Buell motorcycle in which it will reside.

a. A high torque engine with a massive swell of torque from idle to redline.

b. A high horse power engine say 150+

c. A higher revving engine say 10,000 to 12,000 rpm with overrun to stay in one gear down your favorite canyon road.

2. Buell develops a new engine configuration such as a V-3 with the following:

a. High torque from idle to redline.

b. High horse power engine say 160+

c. Higher revving engine say 12,000 to 15,000 rpm with plenty of overrun to truly stay in one gear down your favorite canyon road.

d. Very unique sound to go with the unique bike.

Reality:

1. Buell does nothing more with the engine program.

2. Buell forges on with the same old engine with minor upgrades and calls them a major improvement or

3. Buell comes out with a big block version of the current engine say a Buell XBRR XB Thunderstorm 1340cc engine modified for the street or

4. Buell comes out with an even bigger version of the Buell XBRR XB Thunderstorm 1340cc engine say 1500cc.

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:55 AM   #3
gbrummett
Founding Member

Have you ever ridden a more modern sport bike back to back at the track with a Buell?

If you had you would understand the difference.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:18 AM   #4
egschade
Registered Member

Doesn't Harley already have a hi-tech engine? One that was developed with (a lot of) help from Porsche? Doesn't it have big HP and just as much torque?

C'mon Harley! Give Buell the V-Rod engine and let's be done with it!

K1200LTe "Shamu"

It's not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years...
egschade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:19 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

So few people take their bike to a track, even if there's one available at all, that sales aren't affected. How many owners of "proper" sportbikes go to the track? About .0001%.

I didn't know that there was some divine guidance on what constitutes a "proper" sportbike. How dare Buell not provide a bike capable of 175mph? How can anyone live with only being able to travel 140mph before being impounded?

Norton would have been surprised to discover that a Commando didn't qualify as a "proper" sportbike. Kawasaki as well would be chagrined to find out that the GPZ500 wasn't a "proper" sportbike.

I'm sure that "Washout" will soon be here to enlighten us.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:28 AM   #6
Fenton
Founding Member

"I'm sure that "Washout" will soon be here to enlighten us."

This may require another day off. Click HERE and HERE and HERE.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:38 AM   #7
ksquid
Banned

What's a Norton?
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:49 AM   #8
ksquid
Banned

Default The GMP is right again, GPTB says stay the course.

Despite kbashing, kwhinning, and kconspiracy. The GMP has predicted that Buell sales would be held back by the lack of proper engine. Despite the most definitive account of a actual back to back comparison by gbrummett , a Buell owner with an impeccable reputation on MO, the GPTB says "stay the course" a proper Buell engine is not needed. Has the GPTB rode the Buell back to back with a modern sportbike? Only Buz has.. but not on the track..

jbourne is spot on. HD is raking in massive profits and not investing in the future. Like Ford raking in massive profits during the SUV boom. Selling pickup trucks with SUV bodies Ford raked it in. Where did those profits go..Now Ford is losing money. I predict HD will go the same way... A company is most vulnerable when it is most successful. It gets arrogant and complacent.

Meanwhile the GPTB says stay the course...
Old 01-26-2007, 04:51 AM   #9
MTRHEAD75
Founding Member

I own a 2002 X1W Lighting. I love the bike, Instead of a new motor i would rather see a 6 speed transmission. Another thing with Buell is people like that Harley sound they get with them I know alot of pig headed harley guys who wouldn't ever think about owning anytype of sport bike but they would buy a Buell.
MTRHEAD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:51 AM   #10
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Current owner of 2004 Buell XB12S with race kit

Excellent stuff. Great ideas..