Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 01-26-2007, 07:56 AM   #61
bollert
Registered Member

Default Re: HOG: Please Fund Buell's New Engine

If you watch Erik Buell's video on their website, he goes through the strengths of the engine and he seems convincing. However, he's a racer, so he understands the shortcomings of the engine, and I venture to say he wishes there was a solution. For those who mentioned the Ducati engines, don't forget the maintenance bills, that you will not have with a Buell. Everything is a trade-off so try to love it for what it is. I'd be cool with just a couple thousand more RPM. I can't complain about the amount of power, but it is a buzzkill when the engine just starts getting fun, then the limiter spoils the party.
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #62
boru4761
Registered Member

Default Buells are the new sportsters

Aren't we forgetting something? Buells (the new xbs in particular) are cool because of their contradictory design. What other production moto gives you a bike that looks like something out of a Mad Max flick with a cutting edge chassis and suspension and a motor that can trace its roots to a 1950s design and to radial aircraft engines before that? No one.

More importanly, Buells are the new sportsters. They are a continuation of what the sportster was initially intended to be: A light, sporty, better-handling Harley (to compete with the smaller sportier scoots coming out of England). Since everything else on a Buell is new and nothing like any other Harley, they have to have a motor that ties them to the Harley family. Otherwise they are just another Fischer.

Finally, that antiquated ham-pistoned old troglodyte of a motor makes a boatload of sweet usable torque. If/when the new motor comes along, it will have to do the same or you wont have a Buell anymore. 150 HP sounds nice, more rev range would be great, but for a Buell... it will have to make 100 ft-lbs at 2600rpm and still sound like a tractor. That would be the perfect Buell motor.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #63
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Long stroke, short stroke who cares?

There are plenty to choose from.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #64
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: The GMP is right again, GPTB says stay the course.

He's MR. ALLCAPS without the subtlety.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:13 AM   #65
mitctho
Registered Member

Agreed. I think the sportster motor is a great engine. I had a breathed-on 2004 1200R and it was a hoot, as are the Buells I have ridden.

The racetrack is not the ultimate riding environment for everyone. If you want to go fast on the track, choose from any of the track-oriented brands. If you want to have a ball on the road, I'm sure those bikes are fine but I'll take something with more torque, upright ergos, and nice wide tubular bars. There is a reason Buell, BMW, Guzzi, and the Air-cooled Ducs are still very popular and it is not the race track.
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #66
nesbit
Founding Member

HD would have to, cause a "next-generation Sporty" engine not shared with Buell would certainly sink that division. Nevertheless, you've advanced an interesting hypothosis, supported somewhat by the fact that HD did a very moderate performance EFI upgrade on the '07 Sporty, intended only to address the EPA mandate. HD is either pursuing its usual "evolutionary" marketing approach or something big is in the works.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:17 AM   #67
MTRHEAD75
Founding Member

buell will never take away sales from the sportster most people dont buy sportster's to go rip around town or a curvey road on they buy them cause they a cheap introduction to the harley lifestyle what ever that is.
MTRHEAD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #68
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I agree.

That's not to say Buell won't have a new engine in the future. But it definitely won't be mistaken for an R1.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:21 AM   #69
mitctho
Registered Member

Default Re: Whats antique: an awful powerband...

you conveniently neglected to mention the approximate 20 lb-ft torque advantage of the buell over the exhalted SV.

No way HD will build an I-2.
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #70
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: This Buell new-engine thread just won't die...

Sounds great...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote