Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 01-29-2007, 08:12 AM   #251
James_Brown
Registered Member

Default Re: HOG: Please Fund Buell's New Engine

If you commute 10K/year, then yes, it will get expensive to own a Ducati unless you learn to do the maintenance yourself.

I've never lived far enough to commute. Most of my working life I have walked to work and my current commute is 4.5 miles on 25-35 mph streets. I wear suits occasionally and for the commute I have, it's hardly worth unlocking the bike and getting geared up and/or changing just to putt between stoplights at ~30mph. The cage works well for that. I put about 2,000 miles per year on my primary car and about 3,500 per year on my bike.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2007, 03:29 AM   #252
boru4761
Registered Member

Do I have to bracket it?

800cc, the new sportbike displacement
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:00 AM   #253
James_Brown
Registered Member

Default Re: Buells are the new sportsters

I'm not trying to deny that Buell's do have a unique appeal, but 150 hp doesn't mean you have to lose torque. A Duc 999 will pump out close to 140 hp and 75 ft.lbs compared to the XB12 motors 90 hp and 73 ft.lbs. Certainly the Duc is not as strong down low, but while I don't like to have to rev to 12,000 rpms to get performance, I also don't like sticking at 2,000 rpm and running out of steam at 6. The Duc puts plenty of torque to the ground at reasonable rpm levels.

I'm glad Buell's are around. They are unique and have some appeal. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good idea for them to have more than one engine choice. BMW and even more so Ducati have shown the way. A brand can have a new, modern engine and still keep updating its traditional mill. As I said before, HD themselves have done this for the cruiser range, so why not for Buell?
Old 01-30-2007, 06:59 AM   #254
James_Brown
Registered Member

Hmmm, square four. As I unerstand it, the biggest problem with the square four design was heat to the rear cylinders. With modern liquid cooling, it would seem this could be overcome. If Egli could race a decades old square four design, then surely a modern square four designed from scratch would seem to have some viability. Somebody needs to do it, just because. After that, I want to see a V-three with one big jug and two smaller jugs; again, just because. Triumph already ressurected an old design with the Sunbeam-esque Rocket Three (which was mysterioulsy missing from the godzilla cruiser shootout). I'd love to see more unique designs. How about a resurrection of the old Indian 4 while we're at it...