Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 01-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #221
brax4444
Registered Member

Default Re: HOG: Please Fund Buell's New Engine

Size won't work.
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #222
Gluge
Registered Member

I believe the definition of a sportbike is a motorcycle made for the sport. Sport being some fun compeditive activity... that seems to indicate racing/tracking to me. Sportbike = bike made with the idea of track riding in mind.

Wether or not the owner takes it to the track or not doesn't change whether it's a sport bike or not.

There are plenty of good reasons to get a sportbike even if your not going to take it to the track, about as many as there are for getting sports cars

Good brakes, power, handling, etc.

Like it or not sales ARE effected by how well a sportbike performs on a track, even if the owner never plans to take it there.

Why? uh.. because it means it's a better sportbike and if someones buying a sportbike sometimes they want one that is better than other sportbikes when it comes to doing what they are build to do.

A sport bike has NOTHING to do with top speed, a RS125 is a sport bike, a RS250 is a sport bike, etc. They are just lower cc sport bikes. Top speed has nothing to do with sportbikes.. they are made to go around a track as quickly as possible.

Wake up to the world where you race on sunday sell on monday. Nope not everyone that buys a Z06, or CBR600RR is going to take it to the track.

BUT I don't see what's wrong with that. In fact... I am GLAD the sportbike market sells so well and is so compedative. It makes them cheaper and faster for those of us that race them.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #223
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I look much more Wild and Dangerous than your average Harley-Riding Accountant (but not the Lawyers - they scare me, man!)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:30 PM   #224
ksquid
Banned

Default Excellent Point: Race on Sunday Sell on Monday

Well said
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #225
priday
Founding Member

Default Re: The GMP is right again, GPTB says stay the course.

Because that's what people friggin wanted!

BTW, Ford has the largest cash reserves of any domestic auto manufacturer. The media is blowing up all this B.S. to make news.

All the plant closures were Ford giving the Unions the Finger, and saying "listen up, boys, this is the way we're gonna do it from now on, or ALL of us are gonna be out of a job....."

Don't pick on Ford.

Rob

Horsepower is an illusory mathmatical equation; Torque is Real, and is the source of all good things in the world.
priday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #226
DaveFla
Founding Member

Let's see. I may not recall this correctly, so apologies in advance... the GPz550 had a two-valve DOHC A/C, evolution of the Z1(?), so approx. ten+ year old design. A 1975 Commando would have, as a guess, a design that had been evolving for at least TWENTY years (only in the case of the basic layout; certainly much longer for the ignition and fuel systems)?

I agree with your comments concerning the dual-spark Ducatis and oilhead Beemers - modern fuel management and production techniques have made them the toast of one glowing review after another - just like the Buells, come to think of it. Apparently, your arguments don't apply to the Buell 1203 because they left out oil cooling?

Oh, wait... just checked. Digital managed fuel injection and a big fat cooler on the left front of my (so far) very reliable engine. My bad.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:24 PM   #227
DaveFla
Founding Member

More like 1984 or so, a two-stroke to be run in AMA F1, and not viable for mass production... IIRC.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #228
DaveFla
Founding Member

"Buell, on the other hand, is marketed as "America's Sportbike" company."

Uh, not to me it wasn't, at least not either of the times I was buying one.

For the frame, aside from the introduction of the Uly/Long frame, there's been one major change since the 2003 XB9R, and that was a change in intake routing. The swingarm, also a few minor changes and a long version. The brakes, OTOH, are identical IIRC.

And remind me again: what are the brands that *you* sell? Just wondering if you aren't protesting a little too much - do you maybe catch some "Buy American" grief or something?

Old 01-26-2007, 07:42 PM   #229
DaveFla
Founding Member

Default Re: Rebuttal to longride (Condensed version)

Hah! In another ten years NOBODY you've heard of will even be showing! Got your Chinese marques lined up for the dealership's 2015 fiscal year?

Old 01-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #230
DaveFla
Founding Member

The 2007 Ulys ALL come with a lower seat...