Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 01-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #151
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: HOG: Please Fund Buell's New Engine

I don't know.

10 years of R&D plus having a company like Porsche complete you engine is expensive.

Also, the entree price point I think is artificially low to attract a customer base (I believe the entry price point is $14,995, which is low for a performance based Harley). I would wager they've been losing or breaking even on producing the bikes and probably haven't made a dime once R&D costs or thrown in.

And bottom line is, they do not sell in the same volume as other Harleys...yet.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #152
ksquid
Banned

Default Rebuttal to longride (Condensed version)

It's like you don't bother to read the posts from intelligent informed riders who unlike you have experience with the Buell and modern sportbikes on the street but more importantly on the track

[*]gbrummett says it doesn't have enough high end i.e. it gets blown away by 600s down back stretch on the track
[*]gbrummett ( a Buell owner) says you have to shift it more than modern sportbikes
[*]nweaver then says the power band is too narrow

[b]kpaul says the above facts are going to be important to any squids or sport bike riders.

ERIK IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME

ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #153
ksquid
Banned

Apples and Oranges
Old 01-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #154
acecycleins
Founding Member

My reasoning comes from the auto industry. My Gandfather was one of the industry's major players. He owed several casting companies for not only the Big 3, but also, for Volvo, Renault, and Saab. He worked until his death on the premiss that if the design couldn't be paid for within a 3-4 year period the design was worthless. I can't see HD paying for a design that is entering some 10+ yrs old and not realize this. It has to be cost efective to produce. And it is- by now. The bike may be a "low volume" bike compared to the rest of the fleet, but it was not designed from the on-set to be a money looser. Along those lines, HD must be working on refinements to this motor for the transition to other models.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #155
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Wasn't Erik working on a "square four" with twin crankshafts when he elected to start using Harley's Sportster motor?

I may be mis-remembering this, it WAS over a decade ago...........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #156
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Rebuttal to longride (Condensed version)

Do you ever have any conclusions of your own? I've yet to see even ONE.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #157
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Getting off the dead horse I have a solution. But longride probably sabatoged it.

No it's not racist slam... I am part Cherokee, Irish, English. My family is not racist at all. My oldest current dating guy from Hong Kong who is Chinese. My youngest dates African American, Asian, kids..

Old 01-26-2007, 11:30 AM   #158
ksquid
Banned

What you mean I predicted all of this stuff years ago.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:30 AM   #159
seruzawa
The Toad

Enlighten me. Why is it that some people can't stand the thought of a 50 year old American design still being in use and competetive in the market place? Does it hurt anybody? Not me, that's for sure. Notice that MotoGuzzi does the same thing and gets very little grief even though their factory support is abysmal?

It's like the people who claim thay are against illegal immigration but only get upset about Mexican illegals. It's a weak cover for their stupid bigotry. I think all this anti-Buell crap is just a weak cover for the America haters because they let other manufacturers who do similar things slide. When was the last time anyone ripped Honda up one side and down the other for still using that decrepit V4 design from the mid 80s? Instead they call it the Motorcycle of the Year... year after year. LOL!

None of the squids are going to pull out the checkbook for Eric no matter what he builds.

LOL! about your comment on the sportbike manufacturers and profits. I'd venture a guess that Buell is one of the very few manufacturers that even makes a profit off of sportbikes. Ducati does because they are expensive. Same with the other Italians. I'll give you 2 to 1 that the Japanese lose money on their sportbikes. That money is covered by the cruiser sales.

Japanese sportbikes would cease development tomorrow if the cruiser sales died. Bank on it. Sportbike development was very slow in the years before the massive cruiser sales. That's where the development money has come from. I guess it's a sort of welfare state thing with the cruiser buyers giving welfare to the squids. And naturally the squids bite the hand that feeds them, just like in any welfare system.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #160
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Alright, COME ON!

Who is this? Gabe? Did Gabe get tired of MR. ALLCAPS?

Is it fonzie?

Maybe it's Ebass.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote