Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 01-26-2007, 09:37 AM   #101
crevans
Founding Member

Default Re: Whats antique: an awful powerband...

<blockquote>A Buell with a 800cc-1L twin would totally ROCK (I'd actually say go for an 800cc, the less rotating mass would REALLY make it a corner carver)</blockquote>

You know that antiquated pushrod motor you're going on about? That's a big part of why Buells handle the way they do. Very little and VERY low rotating mass compared to OHCs. It's also relatively light, cheap to produce, dead reliable these days, has hydraulic valves that never need adjusting, and makes enough torque to rip an oak tree out by its roots.

There are plenty of I-4 and "modern" twin cylinder engined sportbikes. The Buell doesn't do what they do and they certainly don't do what Buells do. That's why there's more than one brand of bike.
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #102
crevans
Founding Member

Default Re: It's not just on the track...

<blockquote>People should buy a bike for what it is, not what they want it to be.</blockquote>

So, buying a bike you like, then customizing it to suit you and the way you ride is not kosher, eh?
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #103
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: HOG: Please Fund Buell's New Engine

Grant & Francis - neither of which are dummies - both own 'em and generally concur on the need for a new powerplant. Burns says that Steve says that the XB isn't the only platform that they are working on - if Burns' statement were cash, it'd be folding money says I. Given the emissions reality and HD's steadily growing - but still modestly sized - euro market share, something HAS to be coming. So Ace is right, too. Question now is not if, but when and how good. (never underestimate the ability of an organization to become its own most formidable obstacle!)

Me? I sort of agree with Ace...give me a Buell sweetie with a somewhat larger - 1200cc or so and heavily counterbalanced - Rotaxish, Apriliaish mill. With plenty 'o revs, ST-3 killer power and much torque. Waaaay to much would be just right!

I keep wanting a Buell but....you know the rest.

When I finally have an original thought on this topic - I'll get back to you - someday, maybe. Or not.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #104
lcarlson
Founding Member

Not exactly, at least not for me. I have both a 2000 Cyclone and a 2005 Sporty Custom. I didn't buy the Sporty because it was a "cheap introduction to the Harley lifestyle". I bought it because it is the Harley concept stripped to its essence -- a simple, pure design that looks exactly as a motorcycle should. It's unmistakably a Harley, but lighter and more nimble that their other models. It's a also hoot to rice --
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #105
maladg
Registered Member

Over at OTL (BMW RA club) there is a quick blurb about the coming HP2 version of the R1200S. They say that the HP2 designation will be like their "M" class cars.

The point of this is that competition should also be pushing Buell towards a new mill. And no, I did NOT say that BMW R bikes are necessarily marketed towards the same niche as Buell.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #106
schizuki
Founding Member

And this type of poseur is superior to a Harley poseur in what way?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #107
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

And I think they will. It took HD 10 years to make the VRod once they planned to do it.

Buell is only on their 13th year.

And if Buell makes their own engine that isn't derived from a sportster you can guarantee it's going to be funky.

Will it be a superbike that competes with the GXR1000s and R1s of the world? No. That has never been what Buell has tried to go after. That isn't their target market.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #108
schizuki
Founding Member

"800cc (the new sportbike displacement)."

Wha???

There is exactly _one_ 800cc sportbike on the market, it's almost a sport-tourer, and it's rumored to be gone next year.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #109
acecycleins
Founding Member

Ahh, but they can be. The "R" oil-head motor has just come into it's own- finally. Problem is, BMW is in the same boat as HD with the air-cooled format. Within the next 3-5 years it's lifespan in EU 3 emmissions will end. So, besides HD and Guzzi, BMW has to be working overtime on the problem of trying to water-cool the next generation.

I was told that very thing by BMW Motorad last year- about the HP designation. So- expect big, big things in the next few years from them.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #110
johnnyquest
Registered Member

Then you have valve adjustments like every other bike....might as well buy a Duc then...

JQ