Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 07-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #1
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: Calling all Buellers

has the aura of potatoes and gray beards finally seduced Kpaul?
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

Half the cylinders and twice the capacity of his beloved UJSBs...

Go figure!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Another one bites the dust. Irony so thick you could cut it with a knife. Next thing he will ask if there is room for his Bush-Cheney sticker on the fender. Seriously, I think the Buell is a pretty fine bike, and would be more fun than the one you own now. If you don't want different, then it ain't for you.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

He forgot to ask the all important "How long will the battery hold a charge while the bike sits unridden?" question. My guess is that he'll be buying a Buell right after he takes that riding shcool program he's been talking about, and comes to visit one of us in person.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:16 AM   #5
smcnamara
Registered Member

Can you do all the maintenance on your own? i.e. I am all thumbs mechanically. I can change oil and sparkplugs (and gap them) but anything more than that .Self adjusting valves right? Fuel Injection no carbs right?.

I'm no mechanic, but have found it pretty easy to work on, and the service manual is really excellent. Yes on the valves and injection.

If you use synthetic oil, how long can you go between oil changes?

How long do you WANT to go? I'm running synthetic, and still plan on changing every 3k miles, but could end up pushing that up to 5k if I'm on a long tour. Some people run really long change intervals, I don't. Clean oil = happy engine...

How is the Buell on tires? How much are they?

How do you ride? Pretty much the entire lineup comes with Pirelli tires now (except for the Blast) Diablos on the XB-R and XB-S with Scorpion Syncs on the City-X and Ulysses. The D616s on the Ulysses (now changed to Scorpion Syncs) seemed to go between 3-5k miles. People have run Pilot Roads for 7k+ without trouble... It really varies based upon how you ride, and what the roads you ride are like.

How about insurance? Right now I have full coverage and liabilty. Does anyone have Harley insurance?

I'm only carrying liability right now so can't really say. I've heard there is a new deal with insurance from HD, but have no experience with them.

How are the Harley dealers when it comes to Buell service?

It really varies. Some are really fantastic, others suck. I have noticed, however, that in several dealerships that don't have great sales support for Buell, an number of their mechanics ride them, and are great supporters of them.

How much can you ****er on the price of a Buell? no second stickers right?

You're dealing with an HD dealership, and they are not in the habit of negotiating price. With the '07 models hitting the floor soon, you might be able to get a small break on an '06, but pretty much figure they'll look for MSRP. You might be able to deal on freight and/or setup.

Any reliability issues with the new Buells?

I've got a Ulysses, which was a new model for '06. There have been a few issues. One for early manufacture sidestands, and one for accessory windshields. The XB platform as a whole is several years old now, and most of the kinks really appear to be worked out. I think it was reported in one of the cycle mags that they had the lowest defect rate of all manufacturers...

Good luck with your decision! I don't think you can beat these machines for pure ear-to-ear grin inducing fun.
smcnamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #6
Neal
Founding Member

DONT DO IT!!!! Buell ain't right for you...REALLY. You wont like it and we'll have to hear about it...and hear about it...and hear about it. An SV1000 is more your speed. If you must leave the safety cocoon of Japanese bikes,try a Triumph speed triple,or even Guzzi Breva 1100 ; but let the Buell be.....PLEASE. You and the rest of us will be much happier.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

So, pigs really do fly!
Old 07-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
johnnyb
Founding Member

KP has been abducted by aliens sounds like. again.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:26 AM   #9
ksquid
Banned

Thanks so much. This is the info I was looking for.. Thanks again..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:38 AM   #10
bollert
Registered Member

Knock yourself out, you'll love it if you are a street rider. It is an aggressive back road bike, but will leave you wanting more at the track if you're used to I4s. Mine eats BT-014s like popcorn at a movie, so I suggest an aggressive ST tire like the Pilot Road, or Avon. Mine has required no maintenance except oil. Check oil frequently too, as the big air cooled seems to have an appetite for it. I have no leaks or smoke, but I'll be darned if it doesn't lose some somehow. One last note. It took me a long time to be convinced that the FI was working properly. It seemed to sputter and miss a bit on the highway, like a lean condition. The dealer happily reset the TPS and AFI free of charge. It's either better now or I'm used to it. Check out http://www.badweatherbikers.com/ for all the info you ever wanted about all Buells but were afraid to ask. My insurance was $25/month at State farm for full coverage. HD dealers will not service a Buell to my knowledge unless they carry Buells. I got my 2004 XB-12R for $7999 end of year sale in 2004. Look around and be patient. Also, a used one will be fine - they're bulletproof and a no-brainer to maintain.
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote