Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 05-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #41
dagofast2win
Founding Member

Default Re: For those who say why Race? This is why you race to get better

Quality is measured beyond reliability. every body makes a reliable bike in some degree or another. If you can't see the difference between a vtx and a low rider buy the vtx. But if you gota minute and look at the details it apparent where some factorys spend their money. Victory is the real compatition for hd
dagofast2win is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #42
ksquid
Banned

Default Excellent Point

And no valve adjustments right? you dog....I am closet Buell lover....(i.e I'm just jealous)...seriously I always harp on the dinosaur engine...But you make a great point if you put a modern Ducati like V-Twin in the Buell you would problem have to put up with $400 valve adjustments.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:17 AM   #43
Lastwatch
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XBRR News

There was a Buell privateer at Barber...he did not finish the race.
Lastwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:49 AM   #44
stapleking
Founding Member

All 4 Daytona bikes grenaded due to man-made, serious, life-threatening internal issues created by a bunch of engineering dinks who can't see past the end of their small-block Chevrolet NASCAR shaped noses and understand less physics than yer average high-school sophomore. Carol Shelby said it all [when also faced with the reality of racing obsolete junk - in that case, Ford 427 side-oilers] 40 years ago after winning LeMans: "Horsepower [may] sell cars, but torque wins races."

As for Eric 'breaking free"....a] Eric Buell is most emphatically not an engine guy, and b] H-D has zero interest in designing modern state-of-the-art engines. That would be commercial lunacy for the most successful motorcycle company [by a wide margin] on the planet. They are NOT stupid people.
stapleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:50 AM   #45
jmcintire
Founding Member

It will have to be "diluted" to 1200ccs, 7000rpms and about 90hp. Hey, you can get one now! : ) Ha ha. I don't own one, and I'm no demented Buell fan, but I would love to see them on the podium, too. GO BUELL!!!
jmcintire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:52 AM   #46
maladg
Registered Member

Two more reasons I want to see Buell succeed:

1. Steve Anderson - how many times have I not only enjoyed his writing -all the way back to the twilight days of Cycle - and actually learned something. I wish him well.

2. Sorry, Ksquid....twins are just more fun to listen to at a race - not in any absolute quantative sense - but to an amazing number of people. It is a qualitative thing. Pure emotion.

As for AMA bending rules for Buell: that is new since when? SSDD. The non-twin teams need to innovate & execute and ram their success right down the throats of the rule benders.

I'll never forget - at least until oldtimers disease gets me - hearing Dave Aldana dive bombing a factory Norton under the bridge and down the hill at Road ATL...ditto Cal R same time same place...ditto Burritto & the "Mann" - oops, those were triples. So much for my twin theory. Or not - something about engines that are not in-line 4's.

Don't get me wrong...4's are fine with me. Hey, I have one. But you gotta admit...twins (and triples) have a certain, special something. And you can't caliper, analyze, distill or measure what it is. You can only grock it (todays bone for Heinlein fans).

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:58 AM   #47
stapleking
Founding Member

Oh, and BTW, did anyone notice wut obliterated the field in the top SP1 class at Sebring last month? A diesel. Think maybe there's a clue there for Eric et al.?
stapleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:20 AM   #48
oldtim
Founding Member

I think Buell makes a fine motorcycle but racing a push rod, 2 valve engine seems pretty futile when a sport 600 can smoke it...
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:34 AM   #49
aeholton
Registered Member

That was not an XBRR. It was a regular XB12R modified for racing.
aeholton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:12 AM   #50
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Or somebody on a good running DT1...