Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 04-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell Not Quite Ready for Prime Time.

My understanding of the problem, based on information to which I've been privy, was clutch basket failure. Apparently they'd tested the bike and were confident it could finish the 200, but decided to change all the clutches before the race. A batch of bad clutch baskets, with fatal casting flaws, apparently, were the culprit of every failure in the race. I think the guilty culprit was a japanese supplier. Oops.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
ksquid
Banned

Yep see the ironic story here

What a shame... Pretty bike and the engine didn't fail...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #3
smithrob75
Founding Member

FWIW, I think that bike may be a collectors item someday. It's pretty rare and different.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:16 AM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

"We believe weÂ’ve identified the root causes of the failures at Daytona, but we need to do more development and testing before weÂ’re ready to go forward with the production run," said Erik Buell, Chairman and Chief Technical Officer. "We want to make sure these bikes are turn-key reliable for privateer race teams."

When pressed further about possible future failures, Buell is quoted as saying "Fer Crissakes! I know it's a Fsckin' 'Harley Engine'! Will you Fsckin' get the Fsck off my Azz about it? Jesuit H. Fsckin' Kee-Rist!"

"I mean, why the FSCK can't you look at the fact that I took a Sow's ear and made it into a Silk Purse? Granted, a leather-fringed purse covered in conchas and dyed black and orange - but a Silk Purse nonetheless!"

Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:45 AM   #5
Airfiddler
Founding Member

After extensive study and evaluation I beleive I know the real reason for the failures..............

Not enough chrome and absence of handlebar streamers. Willie G.
Airfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:47 AM   #6
Airfiddler
Founding Member

I know, I know. I befoe E except after C.......
Airfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:16 AM   #7
bmwdude
Founding Member

I truly hope Eric and company manage to get their act together. I want nothing more than to see an truly competitive American bike on tracks around the world.

If we're gonna do this, lets go ALL IN, and whoop some butt. Otherwise, we need to stick with building poor quality street bikes and stay out of racing all together.

The embarrassment is killing us!
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:23 AM   #8
nweaver
Founding Member

Of course, what privateer would pay for the Buell given the previous results?

It would make more sense to shanhai a mechanic friend and upgrade a CBGSX-ZX6r6 to Formula Xtreme specifications.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:44 AM   #9
bbtowns
Founding Member

There are too many sarcastic comments available here for our own good. But I think some fringe got caught in the wheels and fried the bearings.

Time for MotoCyzsz to come in and show us a competitive American Sportbike. Or for Eric to do a redesign and have another go at it, one or the other.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:52 AM   #10
maladg
Registered Member

I've no skin in this game but here goes anyway: you gotta love the sound of big twin racers.

First roadrace I ever attended was Road ATL in '71. While it was won by Jody Nicolas (CW editor at that time & on a Suzuki water buffalo based factory bike), what left a lasting impression was the Dave Aldana Factory Norton. Holy Exhaust Note, Batman! What a lovely sound. **** Mann & Gene Romero were there on Factory BSA Triples, too. While not twins, their sounds were equally GLORIOUS.[possibly interesting aside here: King Kenny was racing Yammie's as a Junior that day. Lets just say the success he went onto was NO suprise to anyone who saw him race as a JR]

Those twins & triples would make the most wonderful sounds especially coming under the bridge and backing off down the steep hill before that curve....ahhhh!

Yup, I want them to succeed based on audio alone. But then I'm an audiophile, so whattaya expect - good sense?

Yes, yes, I dated myself a bit AND shamelessly wallowed in nostalgia. But what the heck: great memories.

Another reason to hope the Buells succeed: Steve Anderson. How many times have I enjoyed articles he wrote. I hope "his platform" wins one for every article I've enjoyed over the years.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote