Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 04-13-2006, 04:59 AM   #11
Mike_L
Registered Member

Default Re: Buell Not Quite Ready for Prime Time.

I read that too, but the latest info seems to contradict that. If the Daytona problems were caused by bad castings, new castings would have fixed the problem. They've had more than enough time to get new castings, so apparently there's another problem.
'98 KTM 250 E/XC
'99 Z50R
'01 XR100R (wife's toy)
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2006, 05:06 AM   #12
Mike_L
Registered Member

Default Bummed

I'm bummed about this to say the least. The bike ran in the top ten at the 200 this year, given more development time it could run up front.

Despite the outdated stereotypes, the motor itself held up, which would surely baffle and anger the nay-sayers if they had an IQ higher than 75.
'98 KTM 250 E/XC
'99 Z50R
'01 XR100R (wife's toy)
Old 04-13-2006, 05:19 AM   #13
Mike_L
Registered Member

<blockquote>Time for MotoCyzsz to come in and show us a competitive American Sportbike.</blockquote>

Sounds nice in theory, but has the 'Czysz even entered a single race yet? When it was introduced there was all this hype about how revolutionary it was and how it would take on MotoGP, then it just faded away.

The XBRR hasn't given any great results yet, but at least it's entered a race. Other Buells have been running in FX and other classes before that. They may not be winning, but at least they're racing. So far, the Motoczysz is all show and no go.
'98 KTM 250 E/XC
'99 Z50R
'01 XR100R (wife's toy)
Old 04-13-2006, 06:11 AM   #14
BruceF
Registered Member

I agree, Kaw,Honda,Triumph, Ducati ,etc. make strides yearly to improve their product, Buell is an innovator, I wish Hardly would give him the resourses[$] and commitment to a 4 or 5 year plan to make America competitive and then produce it.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:23 AM   #15
cgarrison2k6
Founding Member

Default Re: Bummed

I hope Buell can develop a motor that can compete on a somewhat more level playing field with the other bikes in FX.

I would surely hope that a company as large and experienced as Harley Davidson could develop a bike with a race-only motor with a 233% displacement advantage that could compete with production-based bikes from other companies.

I can see giving Buell at most a 50% displacement advantage in a production-based (melting down and recasting the motor doesn't really count as production-based to me) engine.

I would love to see Buell, MotoCyzsz, or even Fischer (someday) develop and race a competitive American sportbike. I think it would help the sport grow in America. Like BruceF said above, here's to hoping Harley gives Buell the development money to keep this project going, and to develop more fair, competitive ones in the future.

By the way, not saying I dislike Buell, Harley, or any company, just that I think the rules were obviously bent a bit for Buell in this case.
cgarrison2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:44 AM   #16
john
Founding Member

In his defence, Czysz is building and financing an entirely new motorcycle. That takes a few years. Also, he was building a MotoGP bike, not a formula extreme bike. Big difference.

Last I read, they were starting to work on the motor, either to refine the gsxr 1000 based mill, or develop one themselves. I would give that a year on its own.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:53 AM   #17
bmwdude
Founding Member

If HD would actually get behind this in a real way, we could build a bike that is all but unbeatable. (imho) I'm not looking at hard numbers, but my guess is, right now HD has similar financial resources to the BIG 4.

Seeing Buell competing and winning in things like AMA-SBK, FIM-SBK and MotoGP would make be as proud as the day my children and grandchildren were born!!!

Perhaps we all need to pray to St. Rita, the patron saint of impossible dreams?
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:05 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Bummed

Considering H-D has shareholders to please, throwing a bunch of money away in racing probably isn't going to happen.

They raced the VR1000 enough to develop a concept for the VRod motor and then pulled the plug.

You know how you make a million dollars in racing? Start with 2 million!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:28 AM   #19
SRMark
Founding Member

Cal Rayborn won on this engine in the old match races back in the early 70s and the engine was old then. What can you expect? The Duc V twin was new back then and it has gone through about a million changes and is still current. That just hasn't happen with the old Sporty motor. Throw that steaming pile in the crapper where it belongs and build a damn engine that matches the rest of the bike. Eric, how can you be so smart and such a dumbass at the same time? Let's see, if I beat my head against the wall from this angle....
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #20
maladg
Registered Member

I should have added that I saw Cal (and Mark Brelsford - I think) at my first rr in '71. Sweet sounds, too.

But Cal sometimes won due to pure skill. And he had to leave to stay competitive. We all recall what came next....
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote