Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Old 09-28-2005, 02:44 AM   #21
dleclerc
Founding Member

Default Re: Touring on a Buell XB9/12 ?

Thanks for all the reply's very insightfull,

To answer a few of the questions stated by everyone.

1) Why: - I ride my bike daily throughout the summer, I would say every second weekend is a 1000 mile weekend and 2 to 3 times a summer I will do 3 to 7 day trip at 500 or 600 miles per day with a lot of hwy. Ideally I would have two bikes but can only afford one.

-Currently I ride a Touring/Cruiser which is great for the long highway stretchs and I love getting out and just riding for a week no work and worries. On the 3 to 7 day trip, however I'm left wanting a lot on the weekend trips where we tend to target great roads and for the daily commute the bike is not even near ideal.

-I want a bike with carachter, I don't know why but riding a bike the likes of a buell, ducati, harley just seems to feel more fun then a run of the mill bike you see everywhere.

-and I want a more agressive to ride then a cruiser being brought up on dirt bikes and snowmobiles I miss the adreline with a cruiser.

2) Age 24, 5'10, 155 pounds and would clasify myself as fit. (So still young and stupid enough to make compromises if the bike is a lot of fun)

3) the Ulysses seems like it is designed as a great allarounder that would be sporty enough to have fun on, and keep me happy through the rest. However I haven't had a chance to test drive one yet (Oct 16th is the next demo in my area so I will have to wait till then.) However after sitting on it the heigh throws me off a little, and something inside of me still desires more character (but a test ride my rid me of those two.

The feel I get is it could be done with an XB12Ss corbin seat, touring bags, trunk and tank bag and possibly a larger windscreen. As a result I would

1) make my daily commute a riot,

2) make weekends two days fun, and just a blast when the road winds.

3) still allow me to get out for a few long distance trips in reasonable comfort.

At the end of it all 10% of the days riding are on long Trips, 20% of hte day are weekend days, and 70% is commute. (if broken down by hour this woudl lean morer towards 30, 30, 40 probably.)(

Thanks all
dleclerc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2005, 03:00 AM   #22
KCFirebolt
Registered Member

I have an 03 XB9R with 38,000 miles. I have the "s" pegs, a throttle rocker, and Throttlemeister. Everything else is stock. The bike has been bullet proof, but I've been anal about the maintence.

My only suggestion is always carry an extra belt with you on long trips. It looks goofy, because you can't fold them up into a tankbag, but worth its weight in gold if you ever need it.

I've broken two belts through my own aggression (no fault of the bike or the belt). The last one was on a sunday morning on the Bear Tooth Pass in the middle of nowhere Montana. It would have taken days to get another belt and to get on the road again, except I had a spare and was back on the road in under an hour.

First Post!
KCFirebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:29 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

You're point about Ducatis and Buells is well taken. But, dude, when it comes to run-of-the-mill bikes there's nothing more run-of-the-mill these days than an HD.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:32 AM   #24
rock06r
Founding Member

Default This is gonna sound soooo stupid...but...

Did you ever consider a Silverwing? They're super comfy, high performance, and they are nearly bulletproof when it comes to reliability. And they cost in the $6k range (I think??). It sounds to me that you're not one of those fashionistas that has to have the latest yama-zuki-saki, but instead wants a performance bike that can go all day without breaking the bank. The Silverwing can go over 110mph, is a miser on gas, has the second largest seat in the bike biz (nearly Goldwingish). I've even heard that for the first 100ft it outaccelerates a 'Busa cause of the low weight, small tires, and large (for a Scoot) engine. Plus, she's got a CVT (continuously variable transmission), which is more efficient than the regular 5/6 speeds. Check it out. My next "car" is definately going to be a Silverwing.

Plus, it would finally give you an excuse to pull out the old dusty WWII leather helmet and goggles.
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:00 AM   #25
dleclerc
Founding Member

I never really thought of the R but with the pegs from the "s" I could see it being as or more comfy with the xtra leg room.

How is the wind pertection with the fairing? have you done a couple of 600 mile days back to back?
Old 09-28-2005, 04:09 AM   #26
dleclerc
Founding Member

You're right run the mill is the right term is not the proper one to express what I meant, I guess character is what I'm refering to with the buells, duc's, triumph speed triple and 4, that perform near the the level of Jap bikes, however their little "quirks", and being different make them fun to drive. and I guess the HD thing tags along for some reason because most of my riding buddies ride 600 or 750 sport bike and I couldn't stay with them if I tried on a harley however I do find something fun out of pushing a 600 + pound machine to it's limits with parts draging. and I guess the customizing thing makes up for some of the run of the millness of them.

However this could turn into a whole other discussion so I will leave it at that acknowledging that I do understand why so many people dispise harley's but something about them manage to hold a place in my heart.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:16 AM   #27
teknoman
Registered Member

drum roll and cycmbal crash!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:50 AM   #28
teknoman
Registered Member

Default Re: This is gonna sound soooo stupid...but...

My buddy has one and brought it by the job yesterday/has 10,000 =miles on it ,in les than a year.Was griping about how now it cost 13 bucks to fill up his Silverwing!I could have punched him!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:11 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

You misunderstand. I like HDs. I've owned HDs. However they are common as fruit flies now and riding one no longer makes anyone different than the pack. They are the pack.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:15 AM   #30
KCFirebolt
Registered Member

I think the wind protection works well. The wind hits me (5'7") right in the mid to upper chest. It takes the weight off my wrists at speeds above 60mph. Very comfortable for me, and since my helmet is above the turbulance, it's pretty quiet too. Combined with the Throttlemeister and throttlerocker, I've done several high mileage trips in reasonable comfort.

4000 miles in 10 days to the Rockies.

1500 miles in three days to Arkasas

3300 miles in 8 days to Deals Gap

1200 miles in 3 days to Milwaukee

And several more

Puttering along at speeds less than 60 mph can be a real chore (I almost went postal after 4 hours in Yellowstone at 25 mph). The bike get uncomfortable for me at steady slow speeds.

I can't say I've had lots 600 mile days back to back to back. Lots of 400 mile days. Leaving Kansas City, it's about 600 miles to mountains heading east or west, most trips start with a really long day. Once we hit the twisty bits, mileage usually drops to 300 to 400 per day. I'm usually tired at the end of the day, but fine the next.

Almost all of our riding is done on back roads. We rarely use the interstate for more than a couple of hours. The XBR is fine on the interstate with a Throttlemeister, but you may find your self wishing for a bigger (ergo wise) bike if most of your riding is Interstate. If you're a backroad guy, the XBR is great.

I'm always glad I have it when I get to the great roads. A bigger bike would probably be more comfortable to and from, but when I get to the twisty stuff, I couldn't imagine having any other bike.
KCFirebolt is offline   Reply With Quote